Purchasing New WHite Macbooks Few Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mash2K7, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Mash2K7 macrumors newbie

Hoping to buy the new macbooks next week.

Just a few questions

1) Are their still issues with discoloration with the white macbooks

2)Is the problem of random shutdown sorted?

3) how easily do the white macbooks get dirty or stained when taking a decent amount of care while using them, i.e not eating etc by them and how easily are they to clean and does stains get removed?

4) is their still the problem of cracks by the magnetic latch?

Thank you and sorry if some questions sound a bit stupid

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

1. I think so. Just wash your hands

2. There was a problem with random shutdowns?? I don't have that.

3. Clean it and keep your hands clean.

4. Yes, last time I checked. Just don't slam your screen shut. Be careful and its all good

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I didn't want to clog the forums with a new thread. Are these issues still prominent in the previous Macbooks (non-SR)?

4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Buy some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers while you're out; pretty much everyone can attest to them cleaning the MacBook wonderfully. Just don't use it on the screen.

5. amrk47 macrumors regular

all the discolorations have been fixed, apple used different parts

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

My three month old MacBook begs to differ.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Deuz Augustine; your three month old MacBook begs for you to wash your hands once in a while. Apple have swapped plastics; if it's staining, chances are its superficial, so just clean it off with something and it should come off.

1. if you take reasonable care, it'll still look white. The problem originally related to a bad choice of plastic used by Apple. They fixed it up fairly quickly.
    2. Nope. It was an issue with the first round of Core Duo MacBook heat sinks, but was fixed relatively quickly.
    3. not very easily
    4. if you slam the screen down, it's not going to do good things. My casing hasn't cracked yet, and I got it 2 days before the MacBooks first hit the stores in Australia.

8. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Yeah I'd say the new white plastic is MUCH easier to keep clean. I had my original core duo keyboard replaced, but not my screen bezel (screen frame). The new plastic on the keyboard is noticeably different and cleans up easily with a mr. clean magic eraser. The old plastic on the screen frame bezel almost feels like it has a rubbery coating on it and it is impossible to get clean. It truly absorbs dirt.

My friends' new white MacBooks all have new plastic that is easy to clean. I definitely recommend the magic erasers, but don't use them on the shiny exterior plastic or screen since they will scratch.

Also, I had the random shutdowns, but since the firmware patch a year ago I haven't had one. I'd say that problem is all sorted out.

9. Trooperof3 macrumors regular

Good questions.

Instead of starting a new thread. I'll add on.

I'm buying a Macbook for my wife. I played with one at best buy. my issue is compared to my 17inch MBP the 13 inch looks to small. macbook users do you think the screen is 2 small?

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

it is when compared to a 17" MBP :D

I reckon for day-to-day stuff, its fine. You'll make good use of cmd+tab (switching between apps) and cmd+` (switching between windows in the app) though.

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I've never had a problem with this screen, even with Camino, Adium, Photoshop, and other programs all running.

12. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

You are safe to proceed with your purchase, Happy Mac-ing!!