Purchasing online while also recycling old phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orev, Oct 3, 2017.

1. orev macrumors 6502

I usually trade in my old phone to get the recycling credit, then use that towards the purchase price of the new phone. Is there any possibility to do something like this when ordering online? Maybe go to the Apple store when it arrives and have them apply the recycle credit to the balance and get a refund on the difference? Anyone tried this before?

2. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

I was wondering that too. I want the iPhone X, I plan to pre-order online. But I would like to give Apple my iPhone 7+, its worth $425 on their website, it would be nice for that $$$ to go toward the X.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you choose to pick up in store you can alter anything about that purchase when you get to the store. So, you could start IUP, carrier upgrade, or pay in full, and when you get to the store initiate a refund on that transaction so they can process a new one with your trade-in. At least that has been my experience, I don't know if that varies store-to-store.

4. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

Can you do pick up today if you pre-order the iPhone X? I didn't think you could....

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You can pick up on launch day if you pre-order (in time). You could then do the trade-in on your 7+ at the store when you pick up the phone. They would cancel the transaction that was made for your pre-order (and initiate a refund on any payments, taxes) and basically ring it up as a new transaction. I don't think Apple's trade in values fluctuate like other trade-in services (e.g. Gazelle). So, what you're quoted today, you'll be quoted tomorrow. I think they only change the prices when a new product launches. But, I could be wrong.