Purchasing online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iDavid., Aug 28, 2007.

1. iDavid. macrumors newbie

I'm ordering a Macbook later on this afternoon online and I was wondering if it will come with iLife 08? It should right? I thought about purchasing it through the computer store here on campus but their student discount is actually less than what Apple is offering if I purchase it online. Plus, if I was to buy it in the store I don't think it would come updated with the latest software seeing as how they don't sell to many Macs and I would be purchasing one that probably has been in stock for a while. I also have concerns about the yellow screen that people have mentioned. I am confused if it is actually just a setting or if something is actually wrong cause I've read both. That's really my only concern about ordering it online.

Another question is that I plan on purchasing just the basic Macbook and upgrading the harddrive to 160 gb. Should I also add the 2gb option as well? I don't really know much about how computers work but say if I do end up using most of that memory on my harddrive with just 1gb of ram does that matter? Or is Ram really the determing factor as to how many programs you can run at one time? I don't plan on having many programs running at the same time.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, and if for some reason it doesn't you can get a copy for $10.

RAM isn't the determining factor in how many programs you can run, it determines how FAST the computer will run when you're running memory-intensive applications. If you've got 6 or 7 apps open at once, then your computer will really slow down if you don't have much RAM.

1 GB should be fine for starters, especially if you won't be running the "big" apps like Final Cut and GarageBand too much. Unfortunately if you upgrade later, you'll have to replace both memory modules. Fortunately, this is still cheaper at places like crucial.com than paying apple $150 now.

3. iSwitchd macrumors member

the yellowing screen issue is on the new macbook Pro.

Also, IMO....I woul not upgrade RAM through Apple. It's very overpriced. Get it from a third party place. (tons of ads on this site of good places)

4. iDavid. thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just made my purchase. How long does Apple take to deliver? I paid the extra 18.00 for 2-3 business day shipping. I'm hoping to get it on or before friday.