Purchasing overseas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamNeeds, Jun 15, 2008.

1. SamNeeds macrumors regular

If I were to purchase a MBP whilst in New York later this year, what differences would I get from a UK sourced MBP to a US sourced MBP? Obviously the keyboard will be slightly different (to what extent may I ask...?) and the power adapter will be different, but what else do I need to know?

Regards,

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The difference in keyboard layout is relatively minor - mainly due to the lack of the £ symbol (although you can still access it with a key combo). The power adaptor will have the wrong plug (the correct one is available as an extra, or you can use an adaptor), but other than that there's no real difference beyond the cheaper price in the US ;-)

Go for it =]

3. mpw Guest

You might find a slight difference in the pre-loaded 3rd party software.

But consider whether its actually worth it. The $1,999 price for a MBP on the online Applestore doesn't include state sales tax, I don't know if New York has a sales tax or what the rate is, but even if it doesn't the price difference is only £79. What if you get a dud? I know the warranty is worldwide, but does that mean they'll take a US make book in at a UK retail store and give you a replacement, like they would for a UK unit, or attempt a repair to your brand new MBP?

EDIT: A quick Google tells me that NYC sales tax is 8.38%, if I'm right that actually makes the MBP £8 more expensive than the UK!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Everything should be exactly the same except it will be a US keyboard not an international keyboard. It shouldn't matter because to type £ with a US keyboard is Opt+3.

Oh the warranty stuff will be talking about US warranties; you will have to go to the UK site to read about the warranties in the UK on the Macbook Pro.

No the NYC tax is 8.375% ;)

And they key is to power the computer on at the store.

5. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the input everyone :)

Is that right!?? It's actually more expensive getting it over in NY? Woah, never saw that coming!

Would you say then, in that case, that it's better to get it here in the UK, not only in terms of price, but for the unit itself, the warranty - which I know is worldwide but if the unit is a 'UK' one, then I won't get any issues taking it back for a repair, upgrade etc.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

no way!! thats wrong

the base MBP in America is $1999, and with a 8.375% sales tax that comes to $2166, or £1113

the base MBP in the UK is £1299

making a total saving of £186 by buying in a NY apple store

7. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet, sounds good to me. I'll have a think about it...

Thanks for all of the input :)

8. NY-Boy macrumors newbie

Im in the same boat, going back to NY in a couple of weeks and was hoping to get a new style laptop, but will be getting a pro anyhow.
    From what i have looked into there is a saving of £190 odd and so long as you dont come back with it boxed etc ;) then all is good
    I asked at Apple in Regent street and they said they will honour the warranty regardless of where it has come from , worldwide warrenty.
    Best thing to do if you can is run it for a couple of days prior to coming back, just to make sure its not a lemon

9. mpw Guest

$1,999 + 8.375% = $2,166 or £1,113 + UK 17.5% VAT on entry = £1,308

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

ok sorry
    if you buy the more expensive models, then you do save money

however, after researching a bit on the web, different places say different things regarding whether you must pay, and if say you took it out the box and said it was already yours (although this could be tax evasion)

buy it in the US, then bring it back to the uk. 'declare' it, and see if you must pay VAT. if you do, you loose £8, if you dont, you save £190

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I called the UK store and asked them if I could buy a computer in the US and exchange it in the UK if it a lemon, and they said they won't exchange it since the retail channels are different.

As with the price, well make sure the computer works before you leave NYC and everything will be fine. Trust me a lot of foreigners come to the US to buy electronics the Apple Store since the Dollar is doing terrible.