Purchasing previous iPhone model NEW in stores?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minhominh, Jan 7, 2014.

1. minhominh macrumors newbie

I personally am not too fond of the new home button on the 5S, and am more than content with continuing to use my 5 if the 6 is still offered with the current fingerprint scanning home button.

My contract runs out this coming October and I have no plans to upgrade/renew my contract for a subsidiary priced phone. I plan on handing my current white 5 down to a family member because I want to switch back to the black iPhone. What do you think my chances are of walking into an Apple store today or in October and buying an unlocked 5? I know it's not advertised, but I would think they've got some in stock that are still in the retail packaging.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time! :apple:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chances - zero. Apple stopped making and selling them. You're best bet is to buy a 5C since is virtually the same as the 5 but plastic.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

What aspect of the home button do you not like on the 5s? You can not use the Touch ID and it will behave just like the iPhone 5 home button. I wasn't pleased with the Touch ID for the first few days of use. I then researched the issue online and found that if I programed my thumb for Finger 1, 2 and 3 it works great. I have not had a problem since. Since the Touch ID will probably be used on all new IOS devices in the foreseeable future, I figured I might as well embrace it, and I am truly enjoying the ease of use for the unlock and purchases.

4. minhominh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my niece has the 5S and I was checking it out over the holidays and wasn't big on the feel of the button. By feel I mean, it comes off more elevated than the previous home buttons if that makes sense. I felt that it was a bit stiffer to press down as well. It very well could have been her phone. I haven't gone into the stores to actually check out the other 5S' buttons.

Do any of you 5S owners share the same opinion of the "stiffness" of the home button when pressing down on it? Thanks for your input!

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I went from a 5 to the 5s. It's different at first, there's a bit more of a click when you press it, and the button is now flat and recessed, rather than concave. It's definitely a different feel, but I got used to it after a day or so. And Touch ID makes it more than worth any hesitation you may have at first. The button feels much more firm, which is a welcome feeling after the home button on my 5 became loose.

6. minhominh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input and assessment. Granted I haven't spent any time with actually using the Touch ID itself with the features you mentioned. I will reserve my decision until I've actually spent more time with it. Thank you again all for your time and responses!

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

touch ID's benefits far outweigh whatever "flaws" a home button tactile feel may have. Not that i base my smartphone purchasing decisions off the feel of one button.

Some carrier stores might still sell old model iPhones; but most unsold stock is returned to Apple.