Purchasing Question over CL

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tbobmccoy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

So, I'm going in on an iPad 2 16gb black. I've been communicating with a buyer via craigslist whose willing to sell his launch-day, used iPad 2 for $450 with a smart cover (green, not my favorite color but I'll take it for the price). He says he threw away the box that had the shipping label on it, but he does have the invoice from his online purchase. Is there anything I should be watching out for otherwise? I'll be meeting with him tomorrow to buy it... but seeing an iPad 2 going for UNDER retail just seems fishy in this market.... or am I being paranoid?

2. boston44 macrumors 6502

Probably just a good deal... a lot of members on here will tell you to stay away because no one would "throw the box out", but it happens all the time. If he has the invoice and you test the iPad out, I see nothing wrong. Believe it or not, some people feel used items are worth less than retail :), even if they are in high demand. Good luck!

Edit: Since I'm in Houston and often travel to Austin, I decided to look at the CL post for the heck of it. He does say he includes the box, (I assume this is the same dude...), so that would be the only thing I would question. Also, the leaving the states excuse if used by everyone in the book. Just take caution when buying..

3. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

test it out.. make sure it turns ON! and make sure it's iOS! haha. other than that, go for it!

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Meet somewhere public, with lots of people around.

I've had good luck with buying on Craigslist. Just use common sense.

5. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, we're meeting at Central Market (for those of you in Texas, you know that's our highish end-grocery store) so hopefully this turns out well :D

6. theConvinced macrumors member

Everything they said and since the apple warranty runs a year from launch look at it with an eye of should it have to go back for warranty is there any reason Apple would say no.

Recently bought a mac book air rev A on CL great price $500. 3 year verified apple care. Runs fine was so excited I didn't notice the crushed corner until I was walking out door. Didn't think anything of it figuring hinged recall should cover a new screen. After further research I leaned obviuos signs would preclude apples support. No biggie it's aesthetics and doesn't affect laptop. Still love it 3 months later but lesson learned and passing on. :apple:

7. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

So you mean to tell me that someone is selling an iPad 2 which is pretty much sold out everywhere for $100 below what he "would" have paid, and, since youre a nice guy, is throwing in a $40 case with it but he doesnt have the box for the ipad/smart cover and you think its legit?

My friend, I am a Nigerian Prince and my family is in need of dire assistance....

8. boston44 macrumors 6502

1) Not everyone is in the market to make a quick buck.
    2) Most people who don't do research and just buy it because they want it are willing to sell for a loss, especially on electronics.
    3) It seems as though there is a receipt.

If it works and the invoice is legit, there is no reason not to buy it...

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I can EASILY get an online invoice from any friend if i ever "find" an iPad 2...

10. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

To be clear, it's just the shipping box that's missing. I can definitely understand that myself; my first MacBook had it's receipt on the box and I threw it away too.

I'm still a bit wary but I definitely am interested. Thankfully, being craigslist and all precludes the whole Nigerian prince scam of getting nothing, so I'll just be alert for warranty breaking issues. The most important thing I really want to find out is an easy way to check for water damage. That's one thing the little red/white sensor could do for the iPhone...

11. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

It just sounds too good to be true. If you are even questioning if its stolen or not why bother with it? Just pay the extra $100 and get a brand new one from the apple store/target/bestbuy or walmart.

12. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I saw this listing earlier. From the way it read, I thought it was a scam. IF he's really in Austin and it's legit, the sooner you meet the better. ( I don't see the listing anymore.)
    He probably is getting a lot of emails, and could easily be enticed by someone else's price, timing etc. He may be a rare one that is committed to you but many times sellers are easily swayed.
    From his listing he sounds like he really may not be caught up in the resell/profit deal. If so, you get a pretty good deal. but last week, I got a sealed brand new one from B&H Photo, an authorized Apple retailer, that does online and phone sales in NY. total was $504, no tax, $4 3day shipping.

13. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

So damnable news; I think that my CL seller bailed. I've been sitting at our meeting spot for 15 minutes and no call, no show. Frustrating, but I think I'm just going to spend the extra cash to buy new now. I remember why I hate craigslist at this very moment... :mad:

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Sorry to say I saw that coming. $140 below retail makes no sense. Why wouldn't the seller just return it for a full refund? I'm guessing the "seller" either gets their kicks from pulling people's chains, or intended on scamming you somehow, but saw you arrive at the meeting spot, decided you were not a good mark, and bailed.

15. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Possibly. Either way, at least I had the opportunity. I've bought the iPad I really wanted (new, too!) since this guy bailed on me. 32gb WiFi Only White.

16. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Wow I'm shocked. I never saw that coming :rolleyes:

Atleast you got a legitimate one now.

17. boston44 macrumors 6502

That's not to say the iPad was STOLEN, just the seller realized he could get more for it :rolleyes:

18. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

19. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Best advise I ever got was to meet the person at an Apple Store if you have one close to you and do the exchange there. They can check it out for you and make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. If the sale is for real they won't mind meeting there if its fake you'll never see them. There are lots of scams with Apple products.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

First rule of CL, if it seems to good to be true, it is.

21. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Second rule of craigslist; don't trust people on craigslist. Im 100% pleased I got this iPad instead of the cl one. I think I sell much better than buy on craigslist, probably because I don't scam or try to make ridiculous profits off of it. I use it like an online garage sale, and I'm just not good at garage saling on the purchaser's end.