Purchasing Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkados, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Arkados macrumors regular

I have an early 2013 13 rMBP and love it but recently got a new job which allows me to be able to upgrade. I purchased it using the finance option through Barclay ( had enough money at the time but didn't want to drop all the money at once and just started building my credit) If the limit on my Barclay card is lower the price of the new MBP I plan on getting, (top 15in model) will I be able to pay a portion in cash/debit and then the remainder on the Barclay card? I plan on selling my 13in which would allow for that.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can.

3. leman macrumors 604

AFAIK, you'll have to pay the sum at once. But is it not possible to wire some money to the card account, increasing the card limit this way?

That said, why are you upgrading? Is there something about your model that disappoints you? Is it worth the loss of money for you?

4. Arkados thread starter macrumors regular

Well I purchased it with the use of Graphic Design and just feel the real estate of the screen is too small. When using it away from home (hooked up to 21in monitor) I feel my self crouched over being abnormally close to the screen. The added RAM and dedicated GPU will also allow for light gaming if I wanted to.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do realize that the card he is talking about is a credit card and basically he simply applied & bought a computer with it to which he has made payments on. The card presumably has a balance and like any other credit card in the history of credit cards, you can make a payment well over your minimum monthly payment. They condone this and celebrate this all at the same time.

Read again, he wants to pay for the machine using what he can on credit and the rest on cash or whatever. And yes, you can do this too on both the Apple US site (I did it when a portion of a machine was purchased with two cards as one was a gift card) and in store.

Log into your account, make your payment and it will give you three options: minimum payment, full balance, or enter your own amount. Enter the amount you want to pay, it will process in a couple of business days, and you'll see the available balance on the card at that point.

6. Arkados thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I understand this. I have the card fully paid at this point, I was just wondering for example: My limit is lets say $1700 and I want to purchase a MBP that is $2400. Can I pay a portion, $700 using my debit card and then use the credit card to pay remainder? Although very complicated I think this may be less of a headache than calling Barclay and try to increase my balance.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can do this. GoCubsGo was replying to leman, not to you, and was explaining that you can do what you want to do.

8. leman macrumors 604

I believe he was talking to me :D

Well, there are tons of different credit cards, e.g. one of my cards cannot be overcharged and you can't pay back in rates - they would automatically book the whole bulk from my bank account each month. Yes, its a totally pointless card. But these things exist.

Rather, I was talking about a way to increase the credit card limit by wiring more money to it - many cards allow this .

Now, that I was not aware of. I have never seen this option over here in Europe. And when I was buying an iMac few years ago, they could't split the payment over two cards, so I had to go and get cash from the bank (I still remember this).

At any rate, if this is possible, then I am sorry for misinformation!

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes, I have a Barclay card. It is just like any other cc. You can split the tenders for payment on a purchase however you choose.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Like all credit cards, there are finance charges. How much will it be on that card? Many charge well in the 20% range. If anyone decides to buy a computer and pays that kind of finance charge, needs to be.... well, call Suzy Orman or Clark Howard or Dave Ramsey.

11. Rbk23 macrumors regular

When I need to buy something over my credit card limit, I transfer a positive balance to my card. Say I want to buy something for $3000 but my limit, I transfer $1000 from my bank account to my card, and my credit card will have a positive balance of $1000, and a limit of $3000.