Purchasing RAM

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Michael4824, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Michael4824 macrumors member

I bought a Mac Mini about two weeks ago from my local Apple Store. I knew I would want to upgrade the RAM inside it, but I figured I could find some really good deals for this Christmas Season if I was willing to update it myself.

After doing a bit of research, I think I want 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM, right? (I just want to make sure I have the right size before I run out and purchase it.) Also, inside the US, is Newegg one of the best places to buy RAM? I'm just looking for people's opinions here.

Thanks!
    -Michael

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Just for comparison check Crucial www.crucial.com and OWC www.macsales.com to see what their prices look like..

I just bought 2x4gb of NuRAM from OWC for $145 a few weeks ago and loving the boost of speed it gave to the mini.

3. Titchy macrumors newbie

I second OWC 8 gigs of NuRam, works great! It's not hard to do :D and they do warranty it. Good folks to deal with.

Tracy

4. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thank-you guys for your help! I think I'm going to wait till Black Friday just to check the deals (or maybe even the following Monday as that now seems to be the online deal day). But if I can't find anything, I'm going to try that NuRAM.

Thanks for confirming the size. I was worried about that!

5. rb5505 macrumors member

6. Titchy macrumors newbie

I have dealt with Crucial too with success and they are a bit less right now. Can't go wrong with either company :D. It's a worth while upgrade.

Tracy

7. AdelK macrumors newbie

please keep us updated of your ram hunt as i am looking for a good deal too.
    will let you know if i find a good deal.

8. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

You were smart to not get your RAM from Apple (pricey).

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Seems it's both OOS and $115 now. Might as well go with:

It's $120 here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

I want to max out the ram in my recently purchased 15" 2.4 GHz i5. Currently the ram is 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

There's also the DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) PC8500 1066MHz SO-Dimm KIT 100.00 after 50.00 MIR @ frys. Any thoughts on that?