Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I had a quick question that may seem kind of stupid. I realize the importance that if you buy a brand new machine in its Rev. A state that there are bound to be issues. However, does this apply to the new MBPs coming in the fall?

Such as, should it be advised to wait a few months for another revision due to Yonah being replaced by Merom? Or is it safe to grab a Merom MBP when it comes out?

Again, I apologize if this has been asked an infinite number of times, I just wanted to be a cautious consumer.

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Texas
aaronb said:
I had a quick question that may seem kind of stupid. I realize the importance that if you buy a brand new machine in its Rev. A state that there are bound to be issues. However, does this apply to the new MBPs coming in the fall?

Such as, should it be advised to wait a few months for another revision due to Yonah being replaced by Merom? Or is it safe to grab a Merom MBP when it comes out?

Again, I apologize if this has been asked an infinite number of times, I just wanted to be a cautious consumer.

Just because its Rev. B and up doesn't mean its not going to have problems. I have a Rev. A iMac G5 and Rev. A MacBook and both have not ran into any problems. If you need the computer get it...if you can wait then wait

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
With the rumors of a case redesign to go along with the introduction of the new chips, there is certainly a good chance of some "Rev A" kinks to be worked out when the new ones are released. Tough to say how much the rest of the internals will be modified though.

I'm not sure it would stop me from buying one though...when I need a new Mac, I'll buy whatever is currently being offered.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Nobody knows whether the Merom MBP's will have issues or not. Well at least any major ones.
We can only assume that any designs will try to fix these present "Rev. A" quirks. Merom I think is very similar to Yonah. Buying a Merom 'Book should not be as danger fraught than buying one in february was. They after all, have a lower TDP (i think), have the same socket, etc. I would assume their 64 bit compatibility would only affect software.
Wait as long as you can, quite simply, because there is always something better over the horizon, but as soon as you NEED, you should GET.

I think there are lots of people, like me, who would not wait any longer than August Meroms, as they should be the first Rev. B MBP's. I think most of the issues with present MBP's have been resolved anyway.

By the way, before Eidorian gripes at you, I would advise you to read the MacRumors Guide on Merom. (No hard feelings Eidorian eh?)
http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

Hope this helped.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Case redesign + Merom = come hell and high water, I am buying! :D

Seriously though, it just shows how crap Apple's engineering is, making a PC laptop certainly is no rocket science. Various OEMs has already been doing this for years, and putting $500 laptops into supermarkets way before Apple even did the Intel switchover.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
razzmatazz said:
Just because its Rev. B and up doesn't mean its not going to have problems.

Very, very true razzmatazz! :)

But yes aaronb, Rev B+ products tend to have less problems since Apple has had time to work out most of the bugs often associated with earlier/initial versions of that product. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Erasmus said:
By the way, before Eidorian gripes at you, I would advise you to read the MacRumors Guide on Merom. (No hard feelings Eidorian eh?)
http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom
Hope this helped.
Thanks! :D Merom is designed to fit where Yonah chips currently are. Still there's no promise it'll fit EVERYWHERE where it does. I'm holding out for something before the Back to School rebate dies out.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
generik said:
Seriously though, it just shows how crap Apple's engineering is, making a PC laptop certainly is no rocket science.

It shows how finicky Mac users are. The engineering is solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.