Purchasing Suggestions! In a bit of a dilemma :O

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wez99950, Aug 26, 2009.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

ok i guess i'm just looking for a bit of advice or if someone was in my position would do! i've had my ibook g4 for about 4 years now and bless her, i think she's on her last legs so i've decided to upgrade to the mbp 13'. the thing is though i also have a phone that i'm getting a bit sick of (sony ericcsson with all the buttons cracked...shudder....) but still works and an ipod touch with a cracked screen. Do I....
    (a) Just buy the mbp
    (b) Buy the mbp with the student deal and get an ipod touch which won't be the latest generation after september and stick with the phone
    (c) Buy mbp and iphone16gb which is a lot of money......too much money??
    (d) Buy mbp with student deal and try and sell the ipod touch and put that money towards a new iphone - but would i get a lot when the new ipods will be (presumably)coming out septemberish?
    (d) Any other option i'm missing?

What would people do!?!??

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If money is an issue. You don't need an iPhone.

I'd buy the MBP on the student deal, sell the iPod Touch, and get a new phone (doesn't have to be fancy, you just bought an expensive laptop for christ sake).

You'd still get plenty for the iPod, as it's sealed. You can still expect 80% of the value on the store website I suspect (unless apple makes the 8GB model discontinued and the 16GB model cheaper than the current 8GB model)

It's a risk. But a phone tends to be more important in the world than a freakin iPod.

3. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you for your advice! it's not that money is the key factor, i have the money to do any of the options it's just the thing of, which one is money well-spent if you understand me? i'm one that doesn't buy on a whim and if there is something that is expensive that i want, i save.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Your answer is…
    At least that's what I would have done.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get what you need, sounds like you need the the MBP now and you're a student so buying the MBP + iPod touch is a no brainer. Whether you keep or sell the touch is up to you.

From the sounds of it, you need to prioritize your needs, the iPhone while a nice to have may be lower on your list so first worry about the computer and getting the most bang for your buck with that.

6. HD Fboy macrumors member

In your sitution I agree, of course how important is the value of the touch to you? I have all three and the phone and the touch fulfill different roles. I travel all the time and the touch is for surfing/email (in a wi-fi area), movies and music. the phone is for phone, emailing and text. For me it is just added capability. I don't expect to update my iPod until it breaks. I may move to an iphone only depending on the memory available. For me this will be 64gb.

Point is when you get to this level the real answer is "It Depends on your needs." So, figure out your usage scenarios best you can and go with it.

7. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

thank you all for all the input! yes the new laptop is the main priority and i will probably go for the student discount. and yet, the iphone is so tempting! the curse of liking expensive gadgets :)
    i would be quite of a music person and carry the ipod around with me everywhere but the screen is cracked and it tends to switch off and pause randomly (had a bit of a run in with a heel of a shoe and another time, spent a night in a pint glass of water-shocked it hasn't run away from me!) and as regards the phone, well... all the buttons are cracked down the middle with the hash and 3 button completely off but as was said i need to prioritise, laptop and then - perhaps, sell the ipod if my desire for an iphone still persists.......

8. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc