purchasing the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caccamolle, Jul 14, 2008.

1. caccamolle macrumors 6502

simple question.

When I purchase the phone at the store (Apple or ATT), does it come charged and ready to go ?

THx !

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Usually it has a decent amount of battery. I would count on at least it being half full if not more.

3. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you SP.

By the way, it would be my first iPhone, not an upgrade.

Att is my provider already and I have .mac account and things ..... I figure that should make it even easier.

4. iPaul macrumors regular

Yeah, you should have MobileMe now. Sync up your contacts and then you can just set up MobileMe in your phone and download them

5. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

cool....man I can't believe I am finally joining modern times with my c.phone, I waited this long.

By the way, even w/o syncing, the phone will be working out of the box ?

Reason I ask is that I won't be able to go home where my macs are until much later and I was hoping I could start playing with it right away, work permitting :)

On the other hand, if I wait until I get out of work I probably won't find one.

I went last night at the store (NY, 5th Ave) after 11pm and they told me to come back the next day (7am). Funny, I suspect they had the phones, just stopped selling them after a certain hour

6. iPaul macrumors regular

yeah, it works out of the box. you have to activate it in the store.

7. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks paul, ... on my way :)

8. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

geeee, failed, for the second time.

This time I went at 9:30am, and again they told me to come back next morning at 7am. Sux. Do they really think I am going at 7am ? Apple just loves it, they want to show lines .... no way they don't have them in stock !

9. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

anybody could guess whether I can send someone else to purchase the phone for me ?

I wonder about in store activation, may be if I gave the person my id's (drivers' license) .... any hope ?

thx

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

The primary account holder needs to be there. I have a feeling they would refuse to sell to anyone but the primary account holder. Maybe you can do it if you are an authorized user at AT&T stores, not sure about Apple stores though. People buying for other people using their id's would probably be turned away.

Demand is high...that is obvious. For the stores running out quickly you have to be there early. For the stores that keep high stock levels for all iPhones, your choice when you get there but your wait time will be pretty much the same no matter what (unless you get there insanely early). The earlier you get there the earlier you get your iPhone.

I went to the Oakbrook, IL Apple store on Sunday. I got there at 8:30am...2.5 hours before opening...I was like #30 in line. We were told stock levels on the phone I wanted were low and that there was a chance I wouldn't get one. 3 hours after I got there they informed us they ran out of the model I wanted. Had I gotten there a half hour earlier I would have likely gotten the last one.

Yesterday I went down to the Michigan Avenue Apple store in downtown Chicago. I got there at 7am (3 hours before the scheduled opening, 2 hours before the actual opening)...I was #4 in line. We were told there was plenty of every model. I waited 2 hours...got my iPhone...and when I left the line was probably 50-60 people long...my guess would be a 2 hour wait, but they were also pretty much guaranteed an iPhone. It cost me a bit more money since I had to pay $16 for parking (early bird special for 24 hours...otherwise it's like $39 at the place I parked...which had valet parking), the gas to get there, and a few tolls. That is probably the case for all stores where stock levels are kept high though. I would call it the "Guaranteed iPhone Tax". I don't mind paying it.

edit: One thing though about the Michigan Avenue store...it was cold the entire time I was there...and I'm a big guy. Bring a jacket if you go in the morning. There was a near constant wind that was very chilling. I expected wind (after all it's the "Windy City")...just not the cold.

Mine had 50-60% charge and was enough to get back home (far western suburbs of Chicago from downtown Chicago) easily without running low. I will say though....using it on wifi drains it quick. That's where most of my use has been so far.

11. cantankerously macrumors regular

12. caccamolle thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys....unbelievable it is this hard to get it, and it's been a few days now ! oh well.

By the way, I would not be in a rush at all if it weren't for MobileMe; now I can no longer access my email from work (windows explorer) like I could via .Mac. That's my incentive for wanting it now, not that I did not want it anyway :)