Purchasing Thunderbolt port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rutkofs2, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Rutkofs2 macrumors newbie

Is there a place to buy a female Thunderbolt port? I have been scouring the Internet for the past couple of days and even called Apple and Intel. I have been able to find zero information. Anyone around here have any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're thinking of adding Thunderbolt to a Mac that didn't come with it, forget about it. You can't do it.

4. Rutkofs2, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Rutkofs2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 iMac with thunderbolt on it, that isn't the issue. I'm just trying to build my own device to use with Thunderbolt (I believe it is just plug and play, no need to code drivers or anything) and I can't find a female port to use as my output (connected via the male-male cable sold by apple).

I'm just tinkering around to be completely honest but I built a small pci-e enclosure with a dedicated 300 watt powersupply and I have a gtx 560 graphics card in it right now. Since Thunderbolt is capable of faster transfer speeds than pci express (10gbitI/10gbit0 I believe) I am attempting to hook up a graphics card externally to my iMac.

This is more out of curiosity and my natural instinct to take things apart and put them back together than an actual need for a better gpu.

edit: and why exactly did my original post get voted down? i searched the forum and couldn't find an answer so i made a thread about it.

5. simsaladimbamba, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Maybe because you also need a dedicated Thunderbolt chip on the logic board and probably on the device you use it with?

6. Rutkofs2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had read that only one end of the chain needed the actual chip. I'll look into it further though.

7. mac26, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

mac26 macrumors 6502

I think you should sign up for Intel's Developer kit to get access to those tools, If you make a GPU can I order one? Will I get a discount for telling you about this? ;)

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

No you need a controller chip on both ends and on every device in the chain. One in the computer and one in every peripheral.