Purchasing Tiger, Family Pack? Edu Discount?

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
I have 2 macs, PB,iBook and and very excited about the soon to be released Tiger. As most of us are.. :D ...I can get an education discount but when i lookf for tiger after signing in ot the edu. store, there is no longer a family pack. Can i install that discounted operating system on both machines? At all?? and most importantly, is it illegal?

Thanks, Rich

Yeahhhh Tiger! Whoot Whoot

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
When purchasing Mac OS software, the license only allows a person to legally install it on one Mac. You can, but it is illegal. If history repeats itself Apple will offer a Tiger family pack. There isn't an educational discount for the family pack. If a person has 2 or more Mac's the family pack is a good deal. Last time the cost was $189. I have three Mac's.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can install 1 license on two computers, but you can only use 1 computer at a time. It's similar to have the same app copy on the network, it'll only allow for one computer at a time. If you are talking about 2 simultaneous users, then buying the family pack is good.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Lacero said:
You can install 1 license on two computers, but you can only use 1 computer at a time. It's similar to have the same app copy on the network, it'll only allow for one computer at a time. If you are talking about 2 simultaneous users, then buying the family pack is good.
How is this enforced?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wdlove said:
There isn't an educational discount for the family pack.
On Apple Store Norway the family pack of Panther indeed has edu discount. On the regular Store it costs NOK 1990 and on the edu Store its half that: NOK 995. iLife'05 too, NOK 899 vs NOK 450 for the family pack...

I'm actually hoping to buy both Tiger and iLife'05 family packs before I finish my M.S. in informatics and B.A. in history of religion this spring... ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wdlove said:
When purchasing Mac OS software, the license only allows a person to legally install it on one Mac. You can, but it is illegal. If history repeats itself Apple will offer a Tiger family pack. There isn't an educational discount for the family pack. If a person has 2 or more Mac's the family pack is a good deal. Last time the cost was $189. I have three Mac's.

A few questions on the family pack...

1) It comes with the same discs but multiple serial numbers right?

2) Its released the same day as the single pack OS?

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
You have a new install of Tiger.

Apple doesn't force their customers to constantly prove they're not pirates, unlike certain OS companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.