purchasing used iPad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by themyst, Oct 21, 2014.

1. themyst macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a used iPad mini retina... what I am afraid of are two things.

1. Assuming they disable the activation lock, can they still report the tablet to AT&T as lost/stolen? I don't see any benefit to this since you couldn't buy one of these on a payment plan, but just double checking.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

My advice is to buy it directly from Apple. You can get a 16GB for $249 refurbed or 32GB for $299. They come with a new battery, new outer shell, 1 year Apple warranty and 14 days return with free shipping.

Take note of the threads started here on MR where people were getting ripped off on Ebay. If you decide on Ebay, pick a vendor with a return policy and a high rating. ;)

3. themyst thread starter macrumors 6502

I would def consider buying new... if the deal wasn't for a mint 16GB AT&T cellular mini retina for $250. Thing was in mint condition, was on a $10.00 tablet add-on to his shared data plan, and he cancelled the line right in front of me. This was on craigslist, I checked if the serial on the iPad matched the serial on the back, wifi, cellular, all buttons, etc. Everything checked out perfectly. Lucky me.

4. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I also want to purchase a iPad Mini 2 either refurb or new but how does it work if I purchase a wifi & cellular model for Verizon through Apple website or even Target, do I still need to go to the retail store at Verizon to get a sim card?

Also I have an unlimited plan at Verizon for my iPhone, can I just add the iPad cellular to my existing unlimited plan for $10.00 extra a month? First iPad and not sure how to do this to keep my existing unlimited plan.