Purchasing Used iPad...Tips?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FubsyGamr, Oct 20, 2010.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys! So, on Friday I'll be purchasing a 64 GB 3G iPad, used. I would get it new, but there was a deal too good to pass up, so I'll be going used. I'm wondering: what can I check for, in the 5-10 minutes when we meet up, to make sure it's all in working condition. Here's what I have so far:

-Turns On (duh)
    -Headphone Jack works
    -Speaker works
    -With Screen Turned Off, look for imperfections (not necessarily scratches, but other, manufacture-style defects)

What else can I look for?

Also, she says that it still has it's warranty because they bought it just a month or two ago. Besides the receipt itself, is there an easy way to see if it's still under warranty?

Thanks for any/all help!

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I believe that you can check the serial number online to see if it still has warranty.

Make sure the wifi works if you can. Use the touch screen. Draw some pictures if there is an app.

Other than that, not sure what else you can do. Make sure you get the power brick.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Test the microphone with Dragon Dictate (free) or some other App that uses the microphone. Some people poked paper clips and stuff in there thinking it was a SIM eject slot or maybe they expected a CD to pop out or something...

(The Mic is a tiny hole at the top of the iPad right next to the headphone jack.)

Also, pick a really dark screen (double press the menu to bring up the search screen, it's pretty dark). Check for any stuck white pixels on the dark screen. You can also check for light leaking out around the edges of the screen. (There shouldn't be any, the screen should be fairly evenly illuminated.)

Then, pick a really light screen, maybe a mostly white web page, and check for any pixels that are stuck. (black pixels that never light up.)

The other thing to look for would be water damage. You really won't be able to see the water sensors, so you'll probably just have to take the owner's word for it.

One last thing, Apps are bound to iTune Accounts, not devices. Some sellers try to convince you they're giving you $XYZ dollars of Apps. You won't really own them unless the seller gives you their iTunes account too. You probably knew that, but since folks ask from time to time, I thought I'd point it out.

Enjoy your new iPad!

4. alan111 macrumors regular

Make sure you go to ATT and buy a new microsim to take advantage of the 3G. Or you can order one from AT&T.com for $15

5. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Why don't you make an appointment at the Genius Bar for a once over, and have the Seller meet you there for the exchange. If the Genius gives it a diagnostic thumbs-up, then pay the Seller.

6. Freedomepalin macrumors newbie

If the seller's name is louisammon or some crap like that don't buy it. He's a scammer.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

iPads come with a 1-year warranty. The iPads have only been out for 6 months. Ergo even the warranty for the first iPad sold is good for another 6 months.

8. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, guys! Just a few follow-up questions:

I never thought about that...is there anything I can to do make sure there is no water damage? Or is my only option to take the seller's word for it?

I did not know that you had to purchase a microsim card in order to have 3G, I assumed it came built-in...is this true? As soon as I buy it from her, I have to head to ATT and buy a microsim?

Nah it's someone local, and they're only selling one iPad, in order to get the new MacBook Air.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

It comes with a microSIM but given that it's used it's likely that the original purchaser activated it. If that's teh case you need a new one to set up your own account.

10. alan111 macrumors regular

x2. I had to learn the hard way.