Purchasing used iPhone on eBay: Things to look out for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emilioestevez, Sep 12, 2015.

1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

I prefer 4-inch phones. So sue me! Are there tell-tale signs of replaced (non original/OEM) components on used devices? I'm not buying refurbished, just used and in hopefully mint condition from a casual seller (not a volume seller). What do you look out for when you buy used on eBay (or Craigslist)? Cheers.

2. Orangeman13 macrumors regular

Orangeman13

Yeah - eBay is one of the most shady things on the Internet. I've been burned too many times by eBay. My advise is to stay away from eBay.

3. Sarah Jones 799 macrumors member

Sarah Jones 799

I personal stay away from ebay for any phones too many stolen phones and unpaid contracts.

4. emilioestevez thread starter Suspended

emilioestevez

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd say look at swappa. They verify the IMEIs and don't let people sell junk.

6. iDan187 macrumors newbie

iDan187

Ask your seller if all the parts are original and if the phone has ever had any kind of repair carried out. If they tell you no, then you discover that something isn't right when you get it, raise a dispute through eBay and you'll get your money back.

7. laser310 macrumors member

i've purchased a few used iphones and an ipad on ebay from the gazelle store

you will pay a bit more than the best deals that you will see from other less well known sellers, but i think it's less risky too.

the gazelle store takes returns - some other sellers also take returns

i don't think you will get a phone with a bad imei number from them

gazelle has several grades for rating the condition of the phones - I have always purchased "very good", which is not the top level.., and they were always pretty much perfect.