Purchasing used macbook pro. Appstore Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stanley Lyndon, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Stanley Lyndon macrumors member

I'm just about to purchase a 15" Macbook Pro, early 2008. It is being sold with the 10.5 installation discs but the owner had officially upgraded it to 10.7 now. So, once I purchase it, how do I start off on a clean state, have my own user info, have my own home directory name and still use Lion?

In other words, once I get the macbook pro, is my only choice to do the above, format the entire drive and install 10.5? And if I do that, would I still be able to upgrade to 10.6 and then 10.7 without paying anything? That is, would the upgrades be linked to the system serial number or to the original owner's mac account?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The good news: You don't have to even bother with the 10.5 disc. You can simply boot into Lion's Recovery Partition and reinstall Lion that way. You will need to re-download it from the Internet, though, which can be slow. If your connection isn't that fast, is unreliable, or both, you could opt to spend $69.99 (or the equivalent in your local currency) for a Lion USB stick at your local Apple reseller.

3. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member