Purchasing Windows XP on eBay????

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davidg4781, Aug 23, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Does anyone have any experience purchasing Windows XP on eBay? I've purchased software before, like Quicken and Peachtree, but never an OS with all the piracy protection Windows has. I just had a novel idea of selling my computer (I think I can get $300-400 for it) and I'm sure I'll have to have Windows XP installed on it when I sell it. They're probably going to want the disk (if they're smart), but I want to keep it for myself, so I can install it on my MacBook.

There are OEM versions on eBay for around $100, and pricegrabber.com lists it, retail, between $170 and $200. Would I have a problem with the OEM version? As long as it works, I'll be happy.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not pick up an OEM copy from new egg for a similar $100? Alternatively you could just use the OEM copy on your Macbook, as it just prevents you from getting support.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I may just do that, and give them the retail copy I had. I had problems installing it the other day, something about it not finding certain files. Kind of strange, but, whatever. It worked with a slipstreamed version I had though, which is a copy of that CD.

Could I run into any problems using the OEM version, besides it not having any support (I've never needed it, anyway). I was reading on newegg in the reviews that you can only activate it on one machine. Is this just one machine at a time, or would I run into problems if I buy a new MacBook later on?