iPhone X Pure black wallpaper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Mar 22, 2018.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Can using the pure black wallpaper cause burn in with the lock screen and home screens having pixels in the same position on more often than other pixels?

2. mgmtpills macrumors newbie

Disclaimer: All my posts honest. I am not one of these people who defends Apple like their life depended on it.

The answer is no unless you leave your screen on at the same screen for a few hours.

I don't understand why people are so concerned about burn in. You paid £/$1000 for a phone, just use it however you wish to use it.

3. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that when displaying black on OLED screens, the black pixels are turned off. Therefore, having a black wallpaper should do the opposite and spare the life of some pixels on your screen.

That said, I agree with mgmtpills, just use your phone. Apple is responsible to cover any issues due to normal usage for the first year (or 3 if you got Apple Care) so don't try to do their job, just enjoy your device! ;)

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Wouldn’t using a pure black background make burn in less likely, since on an OLED display black is achieved by not activating the pixels at all, theoretically it would also use less energy.

5. glenohumeral macrumors member

No having black wallpaper would worsen the burn in process.

Such called burn in occurs because the wear level of each pixel differs.

In LCD, wear level is determined by the backlight...which will decay in uniform manner so no such burn in is observed

In OLED, each pixel has its own wear level (blue color will wear out the fastest btw..) and if a block of pixels wear much more than the other "surrounding" pixel, you will observe the effect of burn in.

6. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I have had black wallpaper since November. No issues.

Think it looks great with OLED---

7. orev macrumors 6502

Yes, this is the right answer. The OLED display will naturally degrade over time, and it's better if all pixels degrade similarly to avoid obvious burn-in. If they are all equal, the display would overall be dimmer after a few years, but you would not see a specific image that is dimmer than other parts of the screen. With a higher-contrast setup (e.g. black background with white letters), the white areas would become more dim over time and the black wouldn't.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2018 ---
    Hardly long enough to be able to make any determination on burn-in.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I did not know that OLED has a black. I thought that the pixels were just turned off.

9. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

In the 'additive' color system (where the LEDs and phosphors on CRT emit light, not filter) red, blue & green pixels make up all the colors, all on = white, all off - black. There are systems that use a white LED for purity. 'Subtractive' color systems use cyan, yellow & magenta dies to filter out unwanted colors. Kodachrome, Ektachrome, printer inks etc. White is no dyes, black is all three. Printer use black inks for better blacks and to save money on colored inks. I have been using the black wallpaper without any problems.

10. orev, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018

orev macrumors 6502

Uhm, what are you talking about? Yes of course it has no black pixel.

11. Newtons Apple, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It was an honest question. Am I not allowed to ask?

Excuse my stupidity.

12. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I don't feel Apple would have supplied a pure black wallpaper if there were any concerns about using it.

13. orev macrumors 6502

OK, I apologize. LCD does have a "black" pixel in that it need to turn the whole pixel opaque to block the backlight from passing through, making it "black". The light is never 100% blocked, so LCDs can never achieve true black. OLED doesn't have to do that, it just turns off all the LEDs, so that area then becomes black. This allows OLED to have much better blacks because there is no backlight and as such no backlight bleed.

14. glenohumeral, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

glenohumeral macrumors member

To add to this, this property of turning individual pixels off which gives its true black becomes a problem of itself.... this creates disparity in each pixels brightness and thus creates the effect of burn in...

Also organic almost always doesnt last as long as inorganic stuff.... hence
    OLED doesn't last as long as than LED...

MicroLED is the holy grail that has no cons...we will have to wait several years for it to commercialize however

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looking forward to the micro-led displays. Thanks for the information.

16. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

How’s everyone’s OLEDs handling a black background?

17. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Fine. Had a nearly black wallpaper since launch.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

I dont understand how anyone likes a plain black background. Ive never been a fan it just looks meh.

19. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Mine has a very slight and subtle background pattern. I mostly like it because I find busy patterns behind look too cluttered.

I just prefer simplicity, at least for a background.