Pure-ftpd Read-only user on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smithmart, Aug 2, 2009.

1. smithmart macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2009
    Hello there,

Sorry to say my first post is a plea for help!

I have a Pure-ftpd server setup, all is working perfectly to the users home dir. But I would like to allow access to an external drive as read-only.

I have been able to give access to the drive as pure's setting are crazy easy. but because its an external drive the permission are set at read-write and there seems to be no way to change it.

I don't mind if the only way is to make this user completly read-only, even to the their home dir, but there also doesnt seem to be an option for this.

Many thanks for any help.

2. smithmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2009
    Might give someone an idea. I found this on an ubuntu forum for a similar setup.

This command doesn't work on the mac, but I'm guessing the theory is right but the syntax isn't.
    Can anyone see why this wouldn't work, I did have a look into "man Mount" and tried a few different variations, but it didn't help :p

3. smithmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2009
    mount rdonly

Hello again... a thread started and ended by me!

Thought i'd post my solution seeing as someone may be looking for the same thing, and it may help.

I have ended up mounted the external drive manually as read only. This works for me as I don'd want anyone writing to this drive.

sudo mount_msdos -o rdonly /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/external

You can then add this drive via the pureftp-manager to any ftp user you want.