Purge

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 3bs, Oct 27, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Is it ok to run the purge command in terminal whenever I feel like it? I do it a couple times a day at most. For some reason Vuze (torrent client) makes inactive RAM go up A LOT and it keeps going up without any sign of it stopping. Luckily I have fast internet at home so Vuze doesn't stay on for long and I purge as soon as I quit it.

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

There is a program in the appstore that adds an icon to your menu bar to do this. You may find it more convenient than purging manually via terminal.

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I have iCleanMemory

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Purge clears your disk cache. There is absolutely no reason to do this unless you are a developer trying to test performance of disk operations without the cache being a factor.

Launch Safari, Mail, and some other big app. Quit them. Launch them again. Notice how much faster they launch the second time? This is cache at work. Close the apps again. Type purge and launch them again. Yep, slooooow.

Cache is a good thing. Don't purge it unless you're testing something. :)

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I only ever purge after running vuze because it builds up the inactive ram like crazy and it doesn't free up after I quit it