Purging: Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by locoboi187, Oct 24, 2012.

1. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys! Do you people feel its necessary to run the purge command? It helps when the computer slows down when the RAM's all used up and stuck in inactive. However, most say it's not necessary. If it isn't necessary, why does everything feel snappier when I use this command? Also, I heard it does more harm than good. I've read mixed things about this command online and haven't gotten a clear answer. Some say it's good, some say it doesn't help.

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

How much RAM do you have? it helps more if you have less, simply because it fills up quicker:)

3. locoboi187 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8GB. base rMBP. I mean it fills up after a few days of not restarting, so I have this app that automatically purges after going low on a certain amount of RAM. That helps though.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has been much discussion and debate about this, in threads such as this:
    Apple states that inactive memory is available for any app to use, if needed, just like free memory. Inactive memory has an added performance benefit that purging removes. I've never seen a case where page outs occurred at the same time that inactive memory was still available, although some claim they have.

Purging can't do any harm, but it may or may not help. YMMV