purple line on my display MBpro15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1k9, Jun 23, 2015.

1. 1k9 macrumors member

I just got a purple line on my display, my unit is a Mac book pro 15 bought new July 2014 (Mid 2014)

what should i do?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Contact Apple? It's a defect they'll replace the screen for you if the LCD is at fault. You're still within the 1 year warranty period.

3. 1k9 thread starter macrumors member

My computer probably only has about 40-50 hours on it. Having this problem come up should I purchase the extended warranty?

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

When it comes to Macs they cost a lot of money so personally I always get Apple Care. You'll need to make your own choice on that.

5. 1k9 thread starter macrumors member

What do most people do when turning over there computer for repair, I have a lot of programs that sign in automatically. How do I prevent the repair people from access my information?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I back up my computer, via Carbon Copy Cloner (to an external drive), then I wipe my drive. They have a clean OS to mess with. Once I get it back, I do a restore.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I do the same as maflynn except I don't use Carbon Copy Cloner, I restore from my Time Machine backup.

Also side note, always keep two backups. If I'm ever going to wipe my computer I make sure I have two valid and functioning Time Machine backups on separate drives.

8. 1k9 thread starter macrumors member

How do you wipe you machine after complete back up?