Purple Section on Disk in Disk Utility?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremybuff, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Tried searching for this but unfortunately could not find anything. How do I get rid of this purple shaded area of my disk and restore my disk to full size? It's supposed to be 320 GBs. I attempted to delete a Bootcamp partition but it didn't seem to delete correctly. I understand that I will not have 320 GBs free, but shouldn't I have more than 297 GBs on a brand new UMBP? Correct me if I am wrong.

[​IMG]

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sadly due to the way that computers read data and bits and bytes.

Hard drive manufactures treat 1GB as one billion bytes, while the operating system calls it 1,073,741,824 bytes (1000 * 1000 * 1000 vs 1024 * 1024 * 1024).

Meaning that an operating system will always see it smaller than advertised.

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

So it's reasonable to say that 20 GBs is lost right from the start? I am very aware of this issue on Windows computers, but I could have sworn my MacBook Air only had 10-15 GBs taken up when I got it. Maybe it's just an error on my part. So the purple section is nothing to worry about? I still do not understand why it is there. It is the exact same size as a 5GB partition.