Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
here you go.

Thanks!

That actually looks like what I think we can expect to see. Apple really wouldn't make a product the that just anyone could just pick up and use -- regardless of hand size.
I guess if we want to be able to carry in in our clothing, we'll just have to go a bit further to dress for the occasion...

Nothing much to do now but wait and see want actually happens -- and see how it feels in the hand once it does.

Last edited:

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Tbolt would make the chargers cost a ton! so lets hope not.

I have been waiting for something like this to get an ipad. It would be nice if they would just use the non retina ipad res for this ipad min. The screen would still be super sharp and developers would not have to deal with another res for everything. Right now we are looking at soon to be 5 diff res as it is.

2 for ipad and 3 for iphone (if the new iphone is truly bigger).

Yeah, but the 3GS is probably going to be phased out.

Mmullan81

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Rumors are rumors

Apple doesn't need to make an iPad mini.. They rule the tablet market. Yes there may be other devices that things the iPad doesn't but the iPad is the perfect size for what it is.
I could see making the iPhone slightly larger but they don't need to be like Samsung and have 4 different sized phablets/tablets.

I think this is just a rumor built off of rumors. Just because I see a lot of rumors on every site doesn't mean it's true.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Apple doesn't need to make an iPad mini.. They rule the tablet market. Yes there may be other devices that things the iPad doesn't but the iPad is the perfect size for what it is.
I could see making the iPhone slightly larger but they don't need to be like Samsung and have 4 different sized phablets/tablets.

I think this is just a rumor built off of rumors. Just because I see a lot of rumors on every site doesn't mean it's true.

Two reasons why they are going to make it:

Education market and killing the competition.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
They could differentiate the Mini from the regular iPad by using less powerful graphic card. The Mini may be able to handle Angry Birds but not Infinity Blade or HD movie editing for example. So folks who just want to browse the net, check out social feeds and lite computing but doesn't want the weight of the bigger iPad will find the Mini sufficient. Sounds reasonable?

bartzumbari

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
A little perspective

If I use Photoshop to scale the iPad picture to 7.3 x 9.5", then that orange rectangle is about 8 x 5.5". Then draw a reasonable-looking 7.9" display inside of that and it's about 4.1" x 6.75" which is a 1.6:1 aspect ratio--same as a MacBook Pro. To get 4:3 aspect ratio, you'd have to make the white rectangle wider and shorter--starts to get an iPhone look to it if you do that.

Bart

p53933697-4.jpg

LosAltosHills

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Ive never seen so many "leaked" pics before for Apple products. What's changed? I remember when Apple would go after sites that had these types of pics.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If I was not so sick I'd be laughing very hard at all these iPad Mini rumours.
So very entertaining. I don't believe for a second it'll come any time soon though. I'll let everyone else do that for me.

If Apple want to actually make this, we can just call it a bonehead thing done by Apple (which it will be) and all move on.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
They could differentiate the Mini from the regular iPad by using less powerful graphic card. The Mini may be able to handle Angry Birds but not Infinity Blade or HD movie editing for example. So folks who just want to browse the net, check out social feeds and lite computing but doesn't want the weight of the bigger iPad will find the Mini sufficient. Sounds reasonable?

I can see an iPad Mini using a lot of cheaper components to really bring the price down.

A 1024x768 resolution means it could easily take the iPad 2 internals. The smaller screen will use less power, so a smaller and therefore cheaper battery will be suitable.

There was a mention that 1024x768 at 7.85" has the same pixel density as the iPhone 3GS, so may use the same supplies. The 1st to 3rd generation iPod touches had the same resolution, but a cheaper screen than in the phone. I could see it use that cheaper screen tech. They were still good screens.

And to keep costs down I think it will have 8 and 16 GB storage options.

AdMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
West Midlands, England
I would prefer a 7 inch iPad over the regular iPad to be honest (Personal Opinion) I use my girlfriends iPad a lot, and when I do it is for reading news articles through flipboard or reading magazines, which is what i would be using my own for when I eventually purchase one. However, I think this would be more comfortable on a 7 Inch screen. If i really want to watch videos etc. on a bit of a bigger screen I can always switch across to my MBP, however, I still think 7.85 Inch would be plenty to watch YouTube videos on.

I agree with an argument that when apple released their iPad they brought something new to the market, somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop. Something that would bring something different to people, as with a lot of their devices. However, they do make an iPod Nano and a 13inch and 15inch MB.

Im still not 100% convinced this will happen, but if it does, Il certainly be queuing outside the apple store.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I would prefer a 7 inch iPad over the regular iPad to be honest (Personal Opinion) I use my girlfriends iPad a lot, and when I do it is for reading news articles through flipboard or reading magazines, which is what i would be using my own for when I eventually purchase one. However, I think this would be more comfortable on a 7 Inch screen. If i really want to watch videos etc. on a bit of a bigger screen I can always switch across to my MBP, however, I still think 7.85 Inch would be plenty to watch YouTube videos on.

I agree with an argument that when apple released their iPad they brought something new to the market, somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop. Something that would bring something different to people, as with a lot of their devices. However, they do make an iPod Nano and a 13inch and 15inch MB.

Im still not 100% convinced this will happen, but if it does, Il certainly be queuing outside the apple store.

I agree it will be a device that will appeal to a lot of people.

I don't quite understand the 'it'll never happen' or 'this would be a huge mistake' by Apple. There clearly is a market for a smaller device. I almost wonder if some people think it somehow threatens the iPad market. I don't see how. There is room for both.

I also don't understand the concern this will only be somewhat profitable as opposed to very incredibly lucrative....especially when the plan is to essentially crush the competition and corner the market.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I also don't understand the concern this will only be somewhat profitable as opposed to very incredibly lucrative....especially when the plan is to essentially crush the competition and corner the market.

I'm not at all concerned by what Apple will actually do, but there's concern about this sentiment by posters that Apple needs to crush a profitless market. Amazon will be releasing a larger-format tablet this year which will undoubtedly be priced more aggressively than the iPad. That's where Apple should be focusing, on protecting its share of an existing market that actually generates profits.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm not at all concerned by what Apple will actually do, but there's concern about this sentiment by posters that Apple needs to crush a profitless market. Amazon will be releasing a larger-format tablet this year which will undoubtedly be priced more aggressively than the iPad. That's where Apple should be focusing, on protecting its share of an existing market that actually generates profits.

I get what your saying...but from a customer perspective I'd rather see a dogfight on both fronts. If Apple loses focus and lets a competitor gain a foothold that's GREAT. It coould be argued this happened when they parsed out minor hardware/OS updates with the iPhone 3/IOS3/3GS while Android gained ground and it resulted in a huge innovation jump with the iPhone 4.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

If theiphone 4 can play infinity blade so should the mini

hickabob

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Missouri
If this actually happens then it will definitely replace my wifes kindle fire. Maybe she'll use it for more than a coster on her night stand then ;)

It will also replace my ipad as the device my 2 year old carries and around and drops on the floor...

bobrk

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
According to the report, a pixel count on the photos suggests that the iPad mini will measure approximately 213 mm by 143 mm and be slightly thinner than the full-size iPad.
How do you decide how big a physical object is by "pixel count"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.