Purpose of 2nd metal bar under spacebar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Syndacate, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Syndacate macrumors regular

Macbook pro, the latest gen.

What is the purpose of the bottom bar on the spacebar?

The top one slides into the clips and then the the spacebar snaps to the white things, but what's that bottom bar do? I see it slides into the holes, but there's nothing for it to clip to on the space bar and if you push it in too far the white things can't collapse when you press the spacebar down.

Explanation? Or at least what to do with the bar?

TIA.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

I think I see how it works, the bars on the top bar push through the metal clips and force the down one out of the way, but it's held in by the bottom edge of the spacebar...then when it's released, it looks like it acts as a spring, but what pulls it back under the white clip upon releasing the spacebar?

4. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, didn't realize what it was at first. How does it slide back under the white clips when you release the spacebar?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think that's how it works; it's like a buckling spring on the Unicomp keyboard.

6. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Does it go under or above the white things?

Does it attach to anything, or just slide in and sit there?

7. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

The bar goes above the white things.

They attach to the clips on the spacebar - those clips are NOT for the white clips. Contrary to most other keys on the computer, only the top of the white things attach to the spacebar. The bottom ones on the spacebar are too wide for the white things, the metal bar snaps into them, then slides into the holes on the bottom.

Just put it in bottom first and slide the top forward and press, and it'll snap into place. Just make sure you hookup the bar first.

/thread

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. debsflowers macrumors newbie

attaching the space bar on key board

the comments were helpful but...remember to put the space bar in the correct position which did seem backward at first.:confused: My fault but it went right on when it was right side forward.

10. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure I might have had that problem on the first go, too. Though I quickly pulled it off, corrected it, and stuck it back on.

I dumped that gen macbook (took a slight hit on it too) and bought a unibody.

Worst mistake of my damn life. Lost the most of my ports, I need an adapter for basically all video, and the keyboard is nowhere near as good as with the old gen. It pisses me off. And oh yeah, it's the one after the removable battery, so god-forbid I wanted to get an extra battery (ie. I wanted more battery up time) - not gonna happen.

Did the tradeoff for new body, 2+ GB @ DDR3 instead of DDR2, a 1067FSB opposed to the older 667FSB, a 320GB HD vs the 250GB HD, and the 9400/9600 (integrated) vs the older 8600GT - for what? I've only activated the dedicated graphics card like once...Shoulda saw that coming down the pipes. I should have just bought another battery and called it a day...

Long live the keyboard that the macbook pro had when I posted this! Because this new one blows in comparison.