Purpose of MIDI IN on Controllers?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by marioman38, Apr 21, 2009.

1. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

What is the purpose of MIDI IN on a controller? I.E. My Axiom 61 has a MIDI IN, THRU, and OUT. But the E-Mu X-Board has only an OUT.

What good are the MIDI IN and Thru on the Axiom? The axiom has no use for MIDI IN from what I can see?

Same as the Korg padKontrol, it is a MIDI controller with an IN.

For daisy chaining don't you only need an OUT? Each device needs its own specific IN on the computer.

2. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

There are lots of reasons for the MIDI IN.. Here are a few examples..

Chaining.. The elemental chain is a single-link chain. The MIDI OUT port of one device is connected to the MIDI IN port of a second. In this configuration, a key pressed on the first unit will cause both units to sound. Pressing a key on the second unit, however, only causes the second unit to sound. Many instruments may be chained together using a series of single links to connect the units. In this case, the OUT of the first unit is connected to the second, the THRU of the second is connected to the IN of a third, and so on. If all the units are set to receive on the same channel, pressing a key on the first one will cause all the units to sound. Pressing a key on any of the other units will only activate the sound of that unit.

ALSO A MIDI LOOP... A MIDI loop is a special configuration of a MIDI chain. The single element loop is made of two interconnecting links. This was the configuration used in the debut of the MIDI system. The OUT port of the first unit is connected to the IN port of the second, and the OUT port of the second is connected to the IN port of the first. In this case, as described earlier, a key pressed on either unit causes both units to sound, provided they are on the same channel. A MIDI feedback loop does NOT exist here, as the data going into the second unit from the first is not duplicated in the OUT port of the second going back into the first. Here, we have two one-way links connected, not a multi-link chain.

The nice think about your controller is the fact is allows for you to Simply Adjust all your presets. Check out this video.. http://en.440tv.com/video.php/v/2366/Axiom-61-Keyboard-MIDI-Controller-by-M-Audio

Also in the video he talks about a GOOD YAHOO Group that is another Great Resources.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

This assumes you are using a computer. You may want to build a chain of non-computer devices. Say for example you have two midi controllers each transmiting on a different channel and you want them to drive a midi tone generator with a piano sound on one keyboard and a synth sound on the other. Your tone geneator has only one input

It's kind of like the same reason Firewire disk drives have two ports, so you can chain them

4. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

So assuming I have the axiom 61 keyboard connected to logic via E-Mu 0404.

What are the routings for the midi ports?

IN--->Keyboard --?? (I could connect motorized faders herer?)
    OUT-->Emu 0404 IN-->Logic---> ??
    THRU--> Duplicates the info from the IN?

I think I understand the OUT and THRU, but I am still confued what goes IN to my Axiom? Its just a controller and doesn't accept information?

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

6. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Now that makes sense, however there is a Sustain, and Expr 1/4" on the back.

Anyone know how to link

Axiom (MIDI IN and MIDI OUT)

BCF2000 Motorized Faders (MIDI IN and MIDI OUT and MIDI THRU)

to a 1X1 MIDI interface via E-Mu 0404 USB to Macbook?

Is this impossible to daisy chain because each one needs a seperate IN?

Or do I use a different channel for each, which IDK how to assign a channel on the device and in logic.

7. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

It accepts Midi Messages....

I am not sure what your question is.

Are you asking how to setup the Axiom the BCF and the Midi to the Mac Book??

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Nothing has to go into the keyboard's "MIDI IN" port. You asked what could possibly go in there. The most obvious thing would be a second midi controller. Say drum pads, faders (aka slide pots) a second axiom keyboard or a controller for stage lighting.

With a computer you would would likely prefer to run all the midi devices directly to the computer but mid was invented back when computers where still rather primitive and even today many people don't want a computer on stage. Having an "IN" connector preserves the option to configure a chain.

9. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Makes sense Chris. Say I did have a second axiom chained. Axiom B Out to Axiom A IN. Axiom A connected to USB. I play on the Axiom B? What happens? Doesn't the IN get terminated inside Axiom B, and not be repeated through USB?

Thats Correct. Is it possible to get a BCF2000 and an Axiom 61 working in Logic with only a 1X1 Interface on the Mac?

The Axiom has IN, and OUT.
    The BCF2000 has IN, OUT, and THRU.

The Mac Soundcard has 1 IN and 1 OUT.

MIDI signal flow help anyone? This will be controlling soft synths only.

---> When devices are connected, say device "A" and device "B" and Computer "C"

A to B to C. Does the MIDI OUT of B send ONLY the MIDI OUT information from B, or also the MIDI OUT from A going to MIDI IN on B, both being sent out to C?

Thank you, and sorry! :)

10. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

The Axiom and the BCF have USB connectors; why aren't you just using those? It's much easier that way.

11. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Because the Macbook only has 2 USB. I need the interface on one, and the harddrive on the other. That leaves the 1X1 interface on E-Mu to connect the Axiom and BCF2000.

If I got a USB Hub, doesn't the Interface and hard drive each want their own non hubbed port? I also can't connect my mouse. Which device would be better hubbed? The Audio Interface, or the HD? :confused:

12. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

In my experience, any USB audio interface should always be connected directly to the front port on the macbook. You can definitely use a HUB for the rest (even the drive), so long as they are all self powered

I would definitely recommend connecting everything via USB with a hub if you can. Much easier.

13. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Thanks Dr. Sound!!!

So I put a hub on the rear port.

With the Lacie HardDrive, the Axiom 61, the BCF2000, and a Logitech Nano VX mouse I shouldn't be getting any "Disk too Slow" issues?

14. Dr Sound macrumors member

Dr Sound

Yea this should solve your problem...

What Audio Interface are you using that doesn't supply Midi (Duet)?

15. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I am using the E-mu 0404 USB. It does have a 1X1 MIDI interface, but I couldn't figure how to link BOTH the Axiom and the BCF2000 to it. Giving it, and the Harddrive dedicated USB ports.