Purpose of rumored iPhone 5e

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colorfuel, Jan 12, 2016.

1. colorfuel, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

colorfuel macrumors member

I'm one of those waiting for Apple to release someting new for the 4" market.

But I'm also very aware of the 1 GB Ram limitation especially since I'm browsing alot but also because of future OS updates, which, I guess, will make use of that RAM, which is becoming standart on the other Phones.

Now the forum tells me the iPhone 6 CPU (A8) isnt that much different from the iPhone 5S CPU (A7). Wikipedia says 25% more speed. My gf has had an iPhone 5S for two years and the thing works really well.

I bought an iPhone 5 for next to no money from someone in the family to replace my 4S and get me through until the 6c or 5e hits the market. It works well enough but Apple decided to leave it out of some features because of 32bit.

I am ready to pay full price for a 6C with A9, 2GB Ram, (I've been ready to pay full price for a 4" iPhone 6 since 6 came out) but if Apple seriously just updates the 2+1/2 year old 5s with an A8, what are they thinking? Already users complain about sluggish performance on the iPhone 6, but that one will be 1+1/2 years old when 5e (6c) comes out.
    Like thats going to be better in iOS10?

Had i known Apple would give the 2+1/2 year old iPhone 5S only a speedbump, I'd have bought that one a long time ago. And I suppose many people would have. And what of those who already own a 5S and waited for a 6S? Upgrade to 5e?

So to me, that iPhone 5e serves exactly no purpose if it comes at the rumored specs. At those specs it will be the final nail in the 4" coffin. Lets hope it doesnt. I want to give them my money but I'm not going to buy another 1gb RAM Phone.

2. Sirious, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

It's all speculation at this point, and older hardware doesn't mean it will be neglected quickly or perform subpar. Apple has been known to support devices for a long time - albeit the small software slowdowns and stuff.

In reality, we want a entry iPhone that is up to date with Apple's latest specs, but Apple needs reasons for its higher level iPhones to sell.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think the name 5e is a rumor. "Enhanced" or not, to me 5e implies a step down. But Apple doesn't pay me for my marketing opinions either.

4. Lop1 macrumors newbie

I am 100% with you on this , 2GB of RAM and A9 chip or it will be without me.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

An a8 with 2gb ram would be a very decent performer.

I doubt it would have an a9 especially if this phone comes out before the iPhone 7, but only Apple knows for sure.

6. Lop1 macrumors newbie

Why ? the Iphone 7 will pack an A10 chip, so the 6C will be just a little behind. ( and A8 is already a two years old tech )

7. bufffilm, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

For the simple reason that if this debuts before the 7, putting both 2gb ram and the a9 would put it on equal footing as the flagship 6s/6s+ and I doubt Apple would do that.

Now if this phone debuts in the 2nd half of the year, that would improve the chances of 2gb ram *and* a9 because the a10 will be out soon thereafter and the a9 6s/6s+ will be a year old by then.

8. Lop1 macrumors newbie

why the 4" model always behind ? the size of the screen is just a personal choice , so why the 4" model can't be on equal footing with the "flagship" ? and why the 4" model can't be the new flagship ?

not bad the 7c 4" with the A10 and 3GB before the other 7 , cool. :rolleyes:

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The only way this would be on equal footing as the 6s/6a+ is if this phone is priced the same.

You do that and then it makes sense to have a9 and 2gb ram.

But again, all this is conjecture.

Ps. Any phone released in 2016 will never have more than 2gb.

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If they gave it an A8, it would have to be under-clocked like the one from the iPod touch due to the smaller size. If they did that, it would be pointless since that under-clocked A8 has the same performance as the A7. Therefore, I would bet on them giving it an under-clocked A9 that would be faster than the regular A8 but slower than the regular A9. Still, I'm expecting this phone to be released in the Fall along the iPhone 7, so it should have 2GB of RAM.

I bet Apple is regretting having kept the iPhone 6 in the lineup and not replacing it with a "C" variant like the 5c did to the 5. The iPhone line-up is going to be a mess in the Fall!

11. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Should still be a 100 dollar difference. The 6s and plus are about the same specs just different screen size and 100 dollar difference

12. Lop1 macrumors newbie

YES !!!!!!!!!!!! they made my dream phone A9+2GB of RAM+4inches+bigger battery and no 3D touch ( too heavy) count me on this one

13. Quicklite macrumors regular

What's next? $349 or $299 iPhone in 18-24 month?