Purring sound from 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jorasho, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jorasho macrumors regular

I bought a 2.66 GHz Quad (2009 mac pro), GT120 and I today noticed a continuous sort of 'purring' sound for 2 seconds, and then 2 seconds no sound. This sound occurs even after sleep and I first suspected one of the hard drives, however there is no writing/reading activity when the sound occurs.

a. Is this normal (i.e. do other users have it)?
    b. Any suspect?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had a few computers in the past make a hum/purr just from being plugged in but asleep before. It's more common with a laptop and its power adapter but rarely on a desktop.

In before cat trapped inside.

3. omgitscolin macrumors newbie

Mine doesn't do it. That would seem to narrow it down to the video card (I have the 4870) or a defect. Or a CAT TRAPPED INSIDE! (sorryyyyyyyyyy)

Are you using a UPS or power strip?

4. cmaier macrumors G3

5. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

I think Leopard is tired :D

Did you check inside the case for animals?

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Cat trapped inside.. man that brings back an old story of mine dated back 12 years ago.

(True Story) When I was in high school a black cat got stuck inside my nissan pathfinders engine (under the hood). I'm guessing it crawled inside underneath the front tires and got stuck somewhere in the engine when it was raining the night before.

Strange part is that when I turned the ignition on I heard a LOUD RAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!

Then I started to back out but my wheels were locked and wont turn. So I got out of the car and looked on the concrete ground and there was a perfect circle pool of blood underneath where my car used to be. I thought it was paint (but thought it was strange as to why would there be a fresh perfect circle of paint underneath my car? Of course it never even occured or crossed my mind that a cat would be stuck in my engine) but for the next hour or so I couldnt get the steering wheels of the pathfinder to turn so I thought my gear shift was stuck.

So I repeatedly backed out and went foward trying to crank the steering wheels to get it unstuck. Then I started smelling this nasty stench. As it turned out a cat's neck was ripped off when I turned the engine on, I'm guessing the belt cut its neck off.

My uncle (a mechanic) came by my house and pulled the black cat out (surprisingly it was a full sized adult cat) and my uncle thought it was funny and chunked the head at me. It smelled like cooked cat for a month especially when I turn on the a/c. Not to mention when it happened in the 101 degrees down here in Houston Texas.

7. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce