Push and battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anjinha, Nov 11, 2008.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I wanted to see how much Push would affect battery life. So yesterday when I came home, I charged my iPhone while cooking dinner. As soon as it was charged I turned off 3G, Wifi and GPS and left push on and took it of the charger.

So I had dinner, watched some tv, went to bed, and never touched my iPhone. Today when I woke up battery was at 44%!!! I checked the usage stats and it said about 4h usage and 11h standby. During that time I got 5 emails and 3 text messages.

Is the battery really supposed to drain this fast with push? I don't think my battery is defective since it lasts almost 2 days without push but push is really useful to me.

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Push is a real battery hog!!:(:( Btw, are you only using Push email or are you also using the Push Calendar,Contacts?

3. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Just Push email.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Similar experience here. I turned Push on for a day. Without Push, I usually have 60-70% battery by the end of the usual work day (6PM to 7PM). With Push turned oh, I got the 20% warning by 5PM.

Needless to say, I've turned it off. I don't even bother with Fetch, I just check my mail when I feel like it.

5. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

This is not how I thought Push would work. This doesn't even feel like Push, it feels like constant fetching.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

That's seriously weird. Push is supposed to be easier on battery life than fetch (since fetch opens a full internet connection every 15 minutes and push pings the server and only connects when there's something to grab.)

It's possible the iPhone had trouble with push, but it's unlikely that push itself has battery issues. Look at the blackberries and winmob devices with push enabled.

7. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Yeah, I know. Well, if it's the iPhone that has some trouble with push I just hope that apple fixes it.

8. bigmouth macrumors 6502

It's really noticeable. If I turn on my numerical battery, I can see the juice drain away like a slow leak.
    That's only if you set fetch to every 15 minutes. Every 30 minutes gives noticeably better battery life than push.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I'd seriously like to know how to do that. Is it a JB thing?

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i have push and fetch on for 30min for my gmail account and i get over 1 day of standby and about 3 1/2 hrs of use, and pretty much all of that usage is talking with 3g on.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's because "push", on anything but a Blackberry, really is constant fetching in a way.

The way it works is that the phone makes a request to the server. The server doesn't reply until it has something to send. Therefore, in theory, the reply looks just like a "push" because it's immediate.

In reality, carriers and other routing devices drop lifeless connections in anywhere from five to thirty minutes or so. Therefore the phone must adapt to the current connection conditions and make its request as often as is needed ... to keep the connection going.

12. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Yep, it's a jailbreak thing -- part of Boss Prefs.

13. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Why is the Blackberry different?

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I've been running Push for everything: mail, calendar, contacts, etc. and haven't noticed any unusual battery drain. Just for kicks, I'm going to do the same test that you did when I go to bed tonight.

I'll report back tomorrow with my results.

Bryan

15. firewood macrumors 604

How may bars did you have all that time? The rate of push drain depends on the transmitter power. Less bars means the phone turns its transmitter power up to try and get a signal through.

16. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I didn't really notice but usually at home I always have full bars.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

RIM paid a half billion (that's with a B) dollars for a patent that allows it to do push without constantly using up the battery doing pings.

Unlike other common push implementations (Exchange, IMAP, etc), which require a phone to constantly ping the server in order to keep the connection going, RIM's push method does not have to talk until there is data to send.

While other phones send an IP request with a long timeout and wait for a response, RIM's phones just wait for their network operating center to send a one-way UDP notification packet.

18. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Maybe Apple can "reinvent" the way our emails get pushed by throwing more money at it then RIM:p

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Or just wait another ten years or so until the patent runs out. :)

20. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

:eek: By then email will be transferred to our brains :p

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Now there's some information we can chew on. Good info to know.

Thanks kdarling!

22. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

How does Goodlink's version of push differ from RIM's? I thought the GL version used some kind of 'behind the scenes' SMS to trigger a server sync, but that might not be accurate.

23. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Push is great on my battery. Location services is the killer.

24. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Ok, I decided to test the battery life again, so I did the exact same thing but before I calibrated the battery and rebooted the iPhone. Now the battery is lasting at least twice as before with push enabled. :D

25. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I thought the Location Services were only in use when you opened Maps or another GPS-enabled App?