push and battery life....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjustmeee, Jul 16, 2009.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to know if leaving any push notifications on (like AIM and APP News, or even email) affects the battery life at all. I'm thinking that since it's something running in the background, it must to some degree. I know that Apple claims that battery life has been improved with the 3GS, but I'm not seeing it. Could be because I'm now fixated on the % number instead of the bar, but the update to 3.0 seems to have shortened the battery life a bit ... could it be push being on?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Turning push notifications on and the number of notifications that you receive affects battery life. The number of applications that utilize push notifications does not affect battery life. (Except in the increase in the number of notifications that you receive.)

3. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

Apple even said Push enabled would make the battery go from 100% to 80%

4. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Push notifications and Push (exchange) are two different things.

5. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

proof?

6. Pared macrumors 65816

7. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

There are many keynotes that Apple have done, a link would be nice.

8. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

9. pbkiller macrumors regular

This happened to me yesterday: I normally go to sleep at 11:45pm, i tend to unplug my phone every morning at 9am (when i dont forget to charge it overnite). Last night i forgot to plug & charge my phone. I went to sleep at 11:57pm and it still had 49% battery left. Right before going to bed, i downloaded Textfree lite to test it out, so i turned on the push notifications. When i woke up, the phone had 15% battery left! It was on standby all night long, and it used all that battery power. That never happened to me before. Usually i would find the battery meter -1% or -2% from what it had the night before, but not 34%! So believe me when i say that Push Notifications drains the battery. I turned the push notifications off, and the battery life came back to normal...

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's in the 3.0 Keynote. The last one was WWDC, the one before was 3.0.

While of course battery life is affected, but I've been pretty surprised that with BeeJive, IM+, Sportstap, and 2 Twitter-Push apps running, it is not nearly as big of a hit as I expected.

The real battery killer is 3G. My battery lasts almost twice as long on EDGE. I really really wish that wasn't the case, I hate EDGE.

11. Pared macrumors 65816

Sure thing.

www.apple.com

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I have had a HUGE hit in my battery life.. so much that I had to turn off push. I can go an ENTIRE day without getting a single push notification (just because AIM is the only one i have with push and no one really IMs me) and i STILL run out of battery by 5pm.. My usage has not changed at all..

and for the record. PUSH DOES NOT WORK IN THE BACKGROUND>

13. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Haven't noticed much change in life at all and I use Prowl to get Growl notifications on my phone from OmniFocus.

Even with my increased usage of OF, I'm still not really noticing much difference in battery life.

Right now, I charge my phone when I get home for about 2-3h and then put it on my nightstand overnight and use it as an alarm clock. It doesn't see a charger until 10p or so at night.

So far the only thing I can tell for sure that kills the battery is being in an area with less than 2 bars of 3G signal. I went to a seminar the other day in a facility with only 1 bar of 3G signal. My battery went down 20% just within 3h of being in there.