Push battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zip120, Oct 15, 2011.

1. zip120 Guest

How much do push email accounts drain my iPhone battery? Right now I have 2 google apps email addresses getting pushed through exchange via google sync, and I have a new @me address. Would it save a significant amount of battery if I had all of the emails forwarding to one account?

2. tann macrumors 68000

I would love to know the answer to this too, or whether I should just fetch it every 15 or 30 mins.

3. zip120 thread starter Guest

4. tann macrumors 68000

I did some research and it really comes down to how many emails you get. If you get quite a few each hour it may be best to fetch every 15/30mins or each hour. With push every single message will get pushed, so if you get 5 an hour your phone gets pushed things 5 different times vs the fact it may only fetch twice each hour.

With lots of mail accounts fetch seems to be advised too (purely for battery purposes).

I left push on personally. I get maybe 3 an hour and I'd like them asap rather than waiting for (potentially) 15 minutes.

Sorry if this explanation isn't great.

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've posted this a few times, but I'll post it again.

Get Boxcar from the App Store. It will push your email, Twitter, Facebook, etc. and you can completely turn off push on the phone. Your notifications still show up in the Notification Center as if they were being pushed to the phone.

I've been amazed at the battery life on the 4S so far using it. I used it on my 3GS and had great results too. I can't recommend it highly enough.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I have push on mine since downloading ios 5 and i havnt seen much difference from when it i just did it manually.and i get alot of e-mails each day.

7. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816