Push doesn't always work? will it improve with 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Sep 8, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i use yahoo mail so its the only email that has push. it does at times push right away, but other times takes hours and idk why it seems more recently it has done this.

my question is with push coming in 2.1 hopefully. will this make push more responsive since all the emails will have push?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This is more of a Yahoo problem. And not all e-mail will be push with 2.1. I'm not sure where you got that idea. The push notification system we're all excited about is for apps, not e-mail.

3. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, won't we? :)

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

i know the push is for app, but it also is going to be for email to right?

that wouldn't make sense to just have it for app.

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I would hope so, but I've read no indication that it will PUSH standard email accounts to the iPhone. I think the email providers themselves would need to add that, but I could be wrong. If I can get my gmail pushed, I could dump mobileMe.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Do you think Apple would make a big deal about push being part of MobileMe and then open it up to Gmail and other services? Fat chance.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Push could do a lot lot more

Seth Weintraub makes a decent point in his September 8 article:
    "Why did Apple pull iPhone 2.1's push notification?"

Push could be used for a lot of things - Instant messaging in the background is just one. If they were to ramp it up, and be able to take quite a high number of push notifications per user- you could use this as part of many other areas presumably.

Common sense he says dictates push was pulled because Apple wasn't sure it could be stable by the time 2.1 was final.

What if push was getting incorporated into something more? Push could be used as part of the genius recommendation system. or information of your location if you wanted it. Push used in SatNav.

With an iPhone/Touch fitness app push not yet under way, i'd have thought they would have something out by Christmas also.

You could also take iphone Bonjour, and use push locally - head to head racing via a sport app, using excercise machine data...

APart from push, it seems Apple could do a fair bit, and with Zune's offering, hopefully Apple can match it at least. 2.1 for today?

8. yoomy macrumors member

You guys are mixing up two different kinds of PUSH systems. PUSH email has been part of the iPhone since 2.0. Real PUSH based on EXCHANGE servers has been working just fine since then. Also apple introduced their own PUSH service with mobileme. All the other email providers don't support real PUSH email. What you guys are requesting is probably IMAP IDLE which allows the handset to pull email from the server at push quality.

The PUSH system that apple wanted to add with 2.1 has nothing to do with email PUSH at all. It is mostly ment for instant messaging programs like AIM, Mobilechat, etc. To give them the possibility to send messages through the apple servers right on the iPhone. So that users receiver the instant messages without the application running in the background. The user can then open the application and check for new AIM, MSN, ICQ messages.

9. DrFillster macrumors member

Push works great with Exchange. It's a Yahoo! problem.