Push E-mail?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rioting, Jul 11, 2008.

1. rioting macrumors member

Does the e-mail function have 'push' capabilities on the iPod?
    Mine won't 'push'.

2. cuanurse macrumors regular

I was wondering that as well!

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

You have to have a service that uses Exchange.

4. rioting thread starter macrumors member

Ah, poopy.

5. cuanurse macrumors regular

Wait.. I thought the point of mobile me was "exchange for the rest of us" according to the mobileme demo.
    I was wondering whether it was only mac mail (I was hoping it would be for all accounts on mac and touch- gmail, etc).

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

No... The server pushes the messages, not the iPhone. All @mac.com and @me.com emails are now on Exchange servers, so they support push. Other email providers are irrelevant.

7. Tuckmonster macrumors regular

8. Maxamillious Suspended

I've been using Gmail with my iPod Touch and it's done a relatively good job at pushing email to my iPod Touch. Now is it true push? I don't know. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to that kinda' thing. What I do know however is that fixed into a Wi-Fi connection, my iPod Touch is always beeping at me while I'm dancing around in the kitchen with my earbuds in, doing dishes, telling me that I have new emails. :)

I'm not too picky. The emails show up on my iPod Touch almost instantly and I can reply to them on the spot. If your a business man or a little more OCD about your email, you may want to dive a little deeper to ensure you've got true push email.