Push email from mobileme with your own account figured out!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Jul 14, 2008.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

After reading some threads here and in other forums, I managed to get my own domain example.com working just fine with mobileme. Now I have push email (but some inconvenice which I can live with, for now)

What you have to do is, setup your mail foward (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc) to your mobileme account. This basically gives you push email, simple. (with the limit of mobileme's email storage limit)

Ok now the sending part. What you must do is setup mobile on your iphone as a standard mobileme account (not imap, only standard mobile me receives push). Then ALSO setup your own domain account (again gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc). Then whenever you are in your sending email from your mobile account, tap the cc/bcc/from row on the compose page. Choose your external SMTP server and send. Done. Now you can send with your own identity, and still get push email.

Of course, the minor inconvenience is that every time you send an email you have to make two extra taps (to choose your SMTP server). Also your sent email will not be stored on your mobileme as well (which is not an issue for me, I would rather it on my own domain's serveR).

So if only there is a way to set default SMTP server for an account then we are all set. This can be done easily for desktop clients (although not tested with apple mail, someone can confirm) but for the iphone this cannot be done. There IS a smtp setting for all mail account the iphone (mail->your account->account info->out going mail server) but unfortunately changing anything here has no effect for _standard_ mobileme account. I think apple has hard coded the SMTP settings for mobileme and ignores this.

2. bstpierre macrumors 6502

There is another setting in Settings -> Default Account that allows you to set the default account. I suspect that if you replied to an email it would use the same account the email came from or use the account you are in BUT the default account is used when you send stuff from other areas of the phone (like Photos or Safari).

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

That is exactly correct. Which is why it would not be helpful here.

4. raluce macrumors newbie

How do you set up the mail forward. Do I do this within my mail app on my powerbook? If so, how. I know this is probably easy, but for the life of me, I'm having a brain block. Thanks!

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

This will depend on your email service. For gmail, it is in preferences. For yahoo, you will need to pay premium. For hotmail, there is a hack, google it.

6. Pierrey macrumors newbie

Hotmail Hack

Hi,

When I google 'hotmail hack', I just end up on sites explaining how to hack other ppl's account.

Would you have a link or smg, I might be able to use ?

Thanks!

7. truciet, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

truciet macrumors 6502

second that...please send details through email if you like...

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

You can set the default smtp server on an iphone (2.0 firmware). You don't even need to setup the other account if you don't want to.

1. Setup mobileme push on your phone.
    2. Forward your old email (gmail, yahoo, etc) to mobileme.
    3. On the phone go to settings > mail > mobileme account > account info > smtp.
    4. turn off the primary smtp server
    5. add a new server using the smtp settings from the account you are forwarding to mobileme.

The only real drawback that I see with this method will get a copy in both sent inbox of your accounts. 1 in mobileme and 1 in the whatever account you used for the smtp server.