Push email host for my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamzx3, Jun 30, 2008.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I was wondering if anyone knew of a web host that provided push email for my new undecided email domain. I currently use HostGator for my website, but the tech support said they don't support push email.

2nd if there isn't a good one, how often can you set the iphone 2.0 to recheck email? I will be getting a 3G soon.

Also a little pre-mature, but any hacks on pushing my contacts, or ical via my macpro?

Going to cancel my .mac/mobile me ....just not worth it.

2. shk718 macrumors 6502a

check out mail2web i used to use them for my windows phone. they let you use any return address.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

http://phpicalendar.net/ for ical. :)

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Better yet, I would suggest using Gmail. I use it for my sites, its free for the basic version.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

but gmail (even for your own domain) doesn't support push... which is what the OP wanted

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't see why MobileMe wouldn't work. That's why they completely changed .Mac. I say it's about time they realized everyone wanted Exchange like features.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

$100 is apparently too much for everything he wants in a nice, tidy package that won't take much configuration.

TOTALLY worth it to use a combination of services that require tinkering and constant tweaking.

8. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

Thanks for the replies guys.

While I agree that .mac finally has features worthy of the annual charge, the biggest turnoff was the @mobileme domain, I don't care for it much.

I also dislike the idisk being slow and clunky, it took over 40 min to upload a 45mb pdf from my mac at work on cable. I use my web domain's ftp now, much much faster.

I'll have to checkout mail2web tonight.

Thanks again

9. bkea macrumors regular

10. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

11. Kerching macrumors member

All well and good using .Mac/.Mobileme or whatever it is called - but if you have your own domain names you will need a hosted Exchange 2007 Service that supports Active Sync

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I checked out mail2web (I've used their free service for years now) but since I'd have to pay for Exchange hosting anyway, I figured I'd just stick with .Mac. I've got the user names I want (for my wife and I, and her mother-in-law) and the integration with the iLife suite is just incredible! In fact I just tonight published my first videos - I can't believe how incredibly simple that was!!

Anyway, I'd seriously do the math on the .Mac. From where I'm standing, it seems to be a pretty good deal now (with the push email/contact/calendar) ...

13. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Mail2web is WAY TOO Windowish for me. I will just forward wIth my personal domain email to .Mac and set its SMTP properties on the iPhone . Hopefully i will still be able to do that and get push when MobileMe is out

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, but the only problem with this technique is that your sent messages will be stored in your personal domain's mailbox, not .Mac/MobileMe. So you won't be able to check sent mail using the MobileMe account ... :(

15. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I use FastMail for IMAP idle push to my Treo (not iPhone, hoping to get a 3G one). I have been very satisfied with Fastmail - and have my own domain's email handled by them (was easy to set up).

http://www.fastimap.com/mail/?STKI=479186

(If you like it, please use that link as it is a personal referral and I'll get some $$ in credit from FastMail!).

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm assuming once people kind of figure out how mobile me works it shouldn't be a serious problem. I've read tutorials on making your own .mac server from any linux computer and I'm sure it'll be just as simple to do mobile me. The only difficult part may be tricking the phone to use your address.