Push Email in 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spykedmartini, Jun 14, 2008.

1. spykedmartini macrumors member

OK- so i know that there is going to be push email for enterprise, but i use the mail app on my mac. Am i going to be able to have push email as well? The account in mail is an AOL account if that helps

Thank you!!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

You don't get push just by having an iPhone. You've gotta have an account that supports it, such as .mac (well, it will) or exchange.

3. rom macrumors regular

4. meagain macrumors 68030

Dumb question - are all phones like this? That you have to manually turn on mail app, etc. or they don't alert you like a sms text message does?

I find I'm relying increasingly more on texts with the iPhone as I can hear it arrive across the room, etc. vs. mail where I have no clue what I have.

5. sir42 macrumors 6502

Can you explain what Funambol is and how it works? Thanks!

6. Kupe macrumors member

Most PDA Phones, when not hooked to a push service (like Exchange Server or Blackberry Enterprise) can still be set up to periodically check email and notify you (via a tone or a screen dialog or an LED depending on the phone) if new mail arrives.

7. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    What is not clear in any of the MobileMe Spec pages is does it ONLY push your "xyz@me.com" account mail, or can you set up mobile me to poll your other mail accounts (over POP) like a Blackberry BIS account?? Or will the only way to see that other mail continue to be 15 min. checks, draining battery?

8. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

My suggestion has just been to forward your other mail accounts to your MobileMe address. This can get hairy if you have multiple accounts and MobileMe continues to not allow for "reply as," but it is a work around of sorts.

It would be wonderful if they allow it to poll your other accounts like BIS does though. I guess we can just cross our fingers.

9. honeycrisp macrumors regular

This is exactly what I plan to do. I think it will work out fairly well, actually.