PUSH email not working on iPhone or iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, May 31, 2010.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi all. I have my own domain name and 3 IMAP accounts set up on my iPhone and iPad. I also have a gmail account sent up with IMAP. I've noticed that push is not working.. Both devices fetch mail on the 15 minute schedule. In settings, everything looks good for push but in reality it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? If I have a new message on both devices and I read it on one, the other updates to read also. So there is definitely communication between the devices and server, just no push.

Thanks in advance,

M

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

IMAP isn't a push service it is a pull thats why you have to have it connecting every 15 mins but it does sync unlike POP, thats why a read message displays as read on all devices.

I cant say for your other emails but you can set up gmail through exchange like this therefore you will then get push.

the iphone/ ipad will not support more than one exchange account until 4.0 is out, but you could have gmail collect your mail from the other accounts through POP therefore all you mail would then be pushed

3. profets macrumors 68040

Yeah, the best is to setup Gmail using an Exchange Activesync connection.

Also, Gmail's IMAP does support push using IMAP_IDLE, but its not something Apple has implemented on the iPhone OS.

4. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. I'll wait till OS4 patiently. I thought IMAP automatically could push. My mistake.

It's a shame all the hosting companies offering push are so pricey. Especially when I don't need all the other exchange features, like syncing calendars and things. Do you think the price of hosting with push will come down?