"Push" Email on Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vorbb, Oct 25, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Hey guys,

This seems retarded, but as far as I can tell, none of the mail apps I've looked at support push email on the desktop.

Is there anything equivalent to "push" for desktop users?

I have mail.app, Outlook 2011, etc... And none seem to support push.

What gives?

I mean, sure, I can check every minute, but it's just not the same.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not the same, but does it actually make a difference? One would think that your average user could accept the extra 59 seconds between when a message is delivered and when a user gets some sort of feedback that they have a new message.

At any rate, Push for desktop mail applications doesn't exist in the canonical form because it's unnecessary. Mail programs figure that you're nearly always connected to the internet anyways and a 1-minute server-polling time is sufficient.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You may not be succeeding because you're looking for "Push" and the app may call it "IDLE".

Thunderbird 3 certainly supports push/IDLE. Go to Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings and click the "Advanced" button towards the bottom right, then check the "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" box.

I'm pretty sure that Mail.app also supports push/IDLE. I'd be surprised if Outlook didn't too.