Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vd0t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I just ran the MobileMe updater. I was hoping to get push email to Mail.app like on the iPhone. Is this possible?

The only options I see are to poll at 1min, 5min, etc.

Thanks

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
I just ran the MobileMe updater. I was hoping to get push email to Mail.app like on the iPhone. Is this possible?

The only options I see are to poll at 1min, 5min, etc.

Thanks

Are you running 2.0 if so Push is automatically on and what u are seeing is Fetch..

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
push mail is working for me again for iPhone (it wasn't this morning).

I applied the osx update, but still no push anything for me on the Mac.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Are you running 2.0 if so Push is automatically on and what u are seeing is Fetch..

Push on Apple Mail.app in Mac OS X Leopard. Not to be confused with MobileMail.app on the iPhone.

I don't get how this is going to work. Mail clearly needs to be updated. So does Address Book and so does iCal.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Push on Apple Mail.app in Mac OS X Leopard. Not to be confused with MobileMail.app on the iPhone.

I don't get how this is going to work. Mail clearly needs to be updated. So does Address Book and so does iCal.

LOL :) thats a good question! I don't think its works for the Mail.app

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
In System Preferences there is a MobileMe button and I think you can set up which applications (Mail, iCal, Contacts, Bookmars) you want to set up with push and you can choose automatic.

vd0t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
that's too bad. i kind of wanted push email on my Mac.

I suppose polling every min is about the same.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Go into your Account settings, then the Advanced tab, and check the IDLE box.

20080712-tudxsjupd6e3sa1sa3kfbcp92i.jpg

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Go into your Account settings, then the Advanced tab, and check the IDLE box.

Hey, thanks for that. But it's checked by default for .mac/mobile me, and it seems there's no way to turn it off even if you wanted to.

push anything from mac is not working for me. mail push is only working on iphone.

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Few Problems

1. When I receive an email to my me.com email address it does not show in my my mail app on my MacBook Pro until I synchronize it under Mailbox in the Mail Application, or until the random polling takes place. I thought it was supposed to automatically show up with a red 1 (one) in my mail application to indicate a new email has arrived on my Macbook Pro.

2. Also when I read an email on my Macbook Pro my iPhone still shows a red (1) one indicating that it was not read. When I click on Mail on my iphone it shows it has been read. I thought that the red (1) would disappear on my iphone after I read it on my mac.

These might not be problems but just the way it is setup.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Few Problems

1. When I receive an email to my me.com email address it does not show in my my mail app on my MacBook Pro until I synchronize it under Mailbox in the Mail Application, or until the random polling takes place. I thought it was supposed to automatically show up with a red 1 (one) in my mail application to indicate a new email has arrived on my Macbook Pro.

2. Also when I read an email on my Macbook Pro my iPhone still shows a red (1) one indicating that it was not read. When I click on Mail on my iphone it shows it has been read. I thought that the red (1) would disappear on my iphone after I read it on my mac.

These might not be problems but just the way it is setup.

exact same experience here.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I just tested it, and the email showed up immediately on my Mail.app. I sent one from gmail.com. This means that push is working with my Mail.app.

Now if only Contact, Calender and Bookmark syncing worked. :) Then I could actually use it on my iPhone. :p

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I just tested it, and the email showed up immediately on my Mail.app. I sent one from gmail.com. This means that push is working with my Mail.app.

Now if only Contact, Calender and Bookmark syncing worked. :) Then I could actually use it on my iPhone. :p

are you sure? it's not working for me.

and it looks like push is only one way between mac and the cloud. only from the cloud to mac, but not from mac to the cloud. i call this false advertisement.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5800966/

if anything, I need push from the Mac the most. I mostly edit my stuff from the Mac, rarely from the iPhone or the web.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
are you sure? it's not working for me.

and it looks like push is only one way between mac and the cloud. only from the cloud to mac, but not from mac to the cloud. i call this false advertisement.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5800966/

if anything, I need push from the Mac the most. I mostly edit my stuff from the Mac, rarely from the iPhone or the web.

It's the third day, calm down. Before we say anything rash like "false advertisement" why don't we wait until they fully deploy this thing? give it a few more days and official word on this and we'll see what happens.

Until then, I'll have my contacts, calenders and bookmarks synced manually, like I have for the past year...

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
It's the third day, calm down. Before we say anything rash like "false advertisement" why don't we wait until they fully deploy this thing? give it a few more days and official word on this and we'll see what happens.

Until then, I'll have my contacts, calenders and bookmarks synced manually, like I have for the past year...

I had a very similar sentiment as you expressed in your post this whole time. Sure, I was getting a bit annoyed that it wasn't working, but figured they'd work it out soon enough.

However, it's stated right in an Apple Knowledge Base Article (linked in the post that I linked to above) that Mac to the Cloud is not push, only sync (not in those exact words, but that's essentially what they're saying). So it seems like this is not something they're planning on fixing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.