Push email only during business hours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpipitone, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jpipitone macrumors newbie

I've been an iPhone user for years, and then switched to Verizon and an Android phone for about 6 months. I couldn't wait to get back onto the iOS platform, however there is ONE thing that I wish I had on my iPhone right now:

Push email only during business hours.

Within my android email settings, I was able to set "Quiet hours" or normal business hours manually. I could set the start time to 7am, and the end time to 7pm if I wanted to.

What this meant was that I could tell my phone to only sync and push my emails from Exchange only during those hours.

This was great because I wouldn't hear my phone vibrating at night when emails would come in. It also saved my battery a bit.

Any ideas how this could be accomplished? Is there an app in Cydia that would help? I've already jailbroken 4.2.6 (Verizon iPhone)

2. stil macrumors member

stil

I use an app called 'Pushmail' that does what you want and more.

3. jpipitone thread starter macrumors newbie

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Unfortunately what you want to do isn't possible due to the poorly implemented notification system. However, Apple recently poached the architect of Palm's superb notification system, which means things might change.

According to Rich Dellinger's LinkedIn profile, he's now Apple's Senior User interface Designer, which to my mind indicates the possibility of some serious improvements/overhaul to the UI/UX of iOS. Hopefully, that includes revamping the notification system, which I think is nearly universally accepted to be the weakest point of iOS.

Hopefully a new notification system, that allows for the features you have described, will be included with the next major revision of iOS.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I really hope that happens.

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I think it's an inevitability that Apple will have to do something substantial with the notification system. As more and more third party apps take advantage of Apple's current offerings it becomes more clear that the current system is fundamentally broken.

I also doubt that Apple would aggressively seek out Dellinger and promote him to such a high position if they weren't planning to do something substantial at some point in the future.

Whether these changes find themselves in the next iOS version is anyone's guess, but I'd say its almost certain that changes will come at some point in the future.

I also suspect that all smartphones will eventually incorporate location-based information into notifications. There is already an Android app (the name escapes me) that changes the notifications based on the time of day and based on your GPS location. Dare to dream that this type of "smart" system finds its way to the iPhone!

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1 for Pushmail. It's the closest you'll get. And more.
    It's a MUST HAVE app for the iphone.