Push email with Hotmail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian4610, Jun 22, 2008.

1. brian4610 macrumors regular

I'm wondering how push email works, and if it works with hotmail?

I currently receive alerts on my phone (non-iphone) in the form of a text message, and from there i can log onto MobileMSN to retrieve said email if i choose. My question is, how does push email work, and would it work with Hotmail.

One of my concerns is, that i'm charged or i should say, these alerts that i get count towards my alloted texts per month. If push email works by sending me the actual email without using a text message, i might not have to go for the unlimited text plan if i choose to get an iphone.

thanks in advance...

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

hotmail is not implemented very well and can only be accessed using a web browser - iphone and most other programs will not work with it

so your solutions:
    leave as it is
    or get a yahoo account, which supports push, and set the hotmail account to forward everything to the yahoo account

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Or get mobile me and forward your emails to your mobile me account. You would get push email that way.

4. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i know this won t answer your question, but have you considered switching to gmail. it took me about a year or so to transition from hotmail to gmail getting everyone of my contacts a nd stuff to send to my gmail instead but im so glad i did it,,and then i get free push email..imap

7. MojoWill macrumors 6502

hotmail blows without being a premium member. get mobile me

8. bkea macrumors regular

9. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I don't think you get push even with premium.
    I'm a premium member (was upgraded for free when it launched as used it nearly since launch of hotmail!) and I've never seen a push setting, but then I rarely use hotmail interface anymore, I use it via mac mail, so potentially things have changed.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a