Push email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iNickk, Jan 12, 2011.

1. iNickk macrumors member

So at the moment I have MobileMe account which runs out fairly soon. I'm not going to renew it, as i'm at university and can't afford the renewal fee. I only really use it for the email and syncing of calendars and contacts (something i will have to live without). I was looking earlier and i've got a load of storage on there too, that i don't even use.

But I still want push email. Are there any email providers that offer push for free that work with the iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Follow the directions here and your gmail account will be pushed.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I should also mention that it will automatically sync your Google contacts & calendar for free too. It's just as good (if not better) than MobileMe and it's free.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before you let it cancel, you may also want to look on Amazon.com for boxed versions of MobileMe subscriptions. You can get it for less than half the normal price.

All the box has is a paper with a subscription code that you enter into a special URL on the MobileMe website. Then just tell the site you're extending a subscription, it makes you log in, and you're done for a year. Instructions are in the box, and the Mobile Me site guides you through the subscription renewal process.

"Old Version" boxes are just as good as the "new version," and provide the same service; the only thing "old" is the graphics on the box.

I do it all the time, and never pay full price.

5. thebubbatex macrumors regular

What version are you on? Since last year when OS 4.x came out, Google contacts no longer syncs. Unless I am missing something.....

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

of course gcalc and gcontacts sync. For calendar you have to go to your gmail account and add it there and then enable it under email settings. You must set it as exchange to enable cal and contacts sync. Setting email as gmail wont do it.

7. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

I personally bought a family pack from amazon and sold the other 4 accounts for 25$. Got my mobileme account for free this year.