Push for my dreamhost account

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ltcol266845, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

hey iPhone gurus.

I have hosting from dreamhost, and according to their wiki, they have IMAP-IDLE which they say gives push support for their email hosting. But I do not have the option to select push from the iPhones settings menu.

When in the process of setting up that account on the phone, I recieved A message that said that the certificate could not be verified. Could this be the issue? Any ideas how to go about fixing that problem?

Thanks!
    MS

2. chinesebob macrumors newbie

Imap doesn't require a push - it stores the email directly on the server and all you do is refresh. You need to verify your settings on the mail server, but when you setup the account on your phone it will give you an option for configuring the account as imap.

3. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

That defeats the purpose of push.

4. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I have the account set up as IMAP on the phone.

5. chinesebob macrumors newbie

You're right - imap is better than push since your email will never be out of sync.

6. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, but the idea of push is that when new data is available, it pings the phone to refresh, rather than a 'fetch' at particular intervals (non-Push), the phone only retrieves data when new data is available (Push).

So if you have an IMAP account, you still have to refresh the account to retrieve data. The question is when, manually, at pre-specified intervals, or the ideal which is as soon as the data is available (ie when you retrieve a new email or calender event etc.).

7. anks329 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to figure this out as well.

From what I've read and seen with the iphone, it is only support IMAP IDLE for Yahoo mail. Yahoo mail gets pushed automatically, but for some reason the iphone won't create an idle connection with any other server.

8. Sic macrumors 6502

there is a difference between IMAP and IMAP-IDLE - IMAP allows you to have a constant open connection, but IDLE makes your device aware of any changes to the contents of the inbox. I can't believe they'd only enable IDLE on Y!M, that's not fair :(

9. anks329 macrumors newbie

That's what it seems like... I'm getting immediate (10 to 15 seconds) notification of new emails from my yahoo account, compared to 15 minutes fetch on my dreamhost and gmail accounts...

10. LeMarsu macrumors newbie

LeMarsu