Push Gmail (GoogleSync) battery drain: is there a fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Jun 17, 2010.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've got GoogleSync (push Gmail) set-up and my battery is draining to almost empty by dinner time, even on days when I don't use my iPhone much. My usage time shows 4+ hours, which makes me wonder whether push Gmail is the culprit. I've heard that others have had similar issues but I haven't been able to find a solution. One sure thought that maybe when he started to add contacts sync to his configuration that led to his battery drain. Any thoughts/fixes besides just reverting to IMAP?

2. Fant macrumors regular

Dont use it ... honestly the check every 15 min works good enough i dont need emails instantly ... doesnt use much battery ... and the googlesync stills seems to have weird limitations like not being able to search and deleted items being moved to archive folders ...

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

This. Push gmail sucks, fetch actually seems to get email faster than my computer.

4. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Push will kill your battery. I do fetch new data hourly. I have noticed better battery life since I switched from push to fetch.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes you can eliminate it 100%. There are services that will push check and push you email to you so you do not need fetch.

just google under email forwarding! Some will poll and forward at 1 minute intervals for $$$.

6. obamtl macrumors regular

If you want push, why not just set your gmail account as an exchange account? If push is draining your battery that much, I suspect it might be a 'continuous pull' masquerading as push.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Never had any battery issues with Gmail push. Don't know what to tell you.

edit: That usage figure is way out of line. Google Sync, pushing properly, does not appear as 'usage'.