Push gmail now available using Prowl

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JaredVegas, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JaredVegas macrumors member

2. ripkord macrumors 6502

3. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

That's not true push mail. That's notification that you have new mail. Not exactly Gmail push.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I'd never apply the word "should" to a situation where I'm getting any kind of free service.

5. ripkord macrumors 6502

I know what youre saying and I appreciate my gmail and the work that has gone into it. It just annoys me.

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Taken directly from the link above:

"You need to leave your Mail.app open in order for this trick to work but if all went well, you should see a push notification of new e-mail on your iPhone. App is awesome!"

Yeah, because I always leave my computer on with Mail.app open. :rolleyes:

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

8. JaredVegas thread starter macrumors member

It's not a perfect solution but still better then nothing. Going to mess with it after work. Curious if it gives a generic push message or if you can get it to use the mail subject in the push notification.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Does mail.app and gmail combination properly support IMAP IDLE Pseudo-push, or are you reliant on mail.app polling the google IMAP server?

If it's the latter, there is very little benefit in pushing it from your desktop machine because unless it gets it instantly you may as well just have polling for gmail on your phone...

10. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I've been playing about with it and although I don't use it for Gmail (I have a Mobile Me account) I've been using it for other applications and it's pretty cool. The notification can lag slightly by a few seconds but it's not enough to cause problems. The only thing I can't change is the sound effect. This is a recognised problem, but even though a solution exists, I can't work it out.

11. sparklesinmotio macrumors newbie

wow whoever wrote that, completely stole it from my blog:

http://sparklesinmotion.wordpress.com

I posted that solution here last night:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=740820

They took my exact wording and even my screenshots....ahhh the internet...

Anyway, if you setup your Mail.app with GMail's recommended settings, your Mail.app is already getting e-mail semi-instantly (at least mine does). It's a kludge for sure but it's working for me. As for the person who said they'd never leave Mail.app open, then Prowl would not be useful at all to you as you need to leave at least 1 mac on at all times to get these notifications pushed to you.

12. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Sparkles, have you manged to change the sound pref on Prowl? Mine is stuck on that annoying Clanging sound.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So in order for this to truly work I have to leave my home computer on with the mail.app open?

14. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Just open a yahoo mail account, and forward your gmail there, then reply from GMail on your iPhone. Free push.

15. sparklesinmotio macrumors newbie

yeah Marcus, I got this tidbit from Prowl's website:

16. sparklesinmotio macrumors newbie

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup, me too.

We just have to hope Apple approves it.

It sounds like GPush is just a notification that you have email, but it doesn't actually push the email itself to your phone until you go into the mail app.

This will be a VERY nice workaround until GMail offers it some how themselves.

19. kriffer macrumors newbie

I already talked to sparkles, but just so everyone knows, it was unintentional, and i do apologize again. All credit is definitely do to sparkles!
    Not true push, but gets the job done!

20. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im very confused. When people say PUSH gmail...does that mean push WITH notifications or just instant notification of an email?

My phone does the latter...

21. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

There are two different things.

There are push notifications, where an app can notify you of something. In this case, notifying someone that there is email on the server for them.

Then PUSH GMAIL, the real deal, would be if the emails themselves were actually pushed down to your phone.

22. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

23. JaredVegas thread starter macrumors member

Got a chance to try it out today and it works great. They have a growl client for windows that was just released which I am using.

24. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Prowl is just an extension to Growl, but instead of having a notification pop-up on your Mac screen, it sends that notification to your phone instead. For Gmail, it isn't Push but simply a notification that there are new messages in your Mail.app.

For it to work with Gmail, you would have to leave Mail.app running, install Growl for Mail (I think) and set it to get incoming messages every minute. Once an email comes through (every minute) a notification is sent to Growl Servers, that in turn sends a Push Notification to your iPhone telling your Mail.app on your Mac has new mail. You then have to go to your iPhone inbox and download the new email. It's inefficient.

Prowl is good for a lot of other things; torrents, RSS News Feeds, Delivery Status, weather changes, systems administration etc etc etc basically anything you need information about and can Growl. It's a bonus for those of us who know how to program in perl.

25. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

"Late cite" ? At least you published the reference... but was it just theft at first, and then when found out you added the citation?