Push Gmail to iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, May 25, 2008.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

nope... thus far atleast. It will have push for enterprise users and the rumor is it will have push for .mac.. but prob not gmail

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This will be up to Google, so we'll have to wait and see.

4. heyp macrumors 6502

it would be great, but doubtful in my opinion

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

push depends on the email provider, not the phone manufacturer

gmail does support push, but only on one of the helio phones, thats the launch phone. nothing else supports it

6. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ehm what, isnt your post a bit contradictive? If its not up to the phone manufacturer, how come gmail push only works on 1 helio phone?

If Google has push for gmail, couldnt Apple just enable it in the phone and it would work? Maybe they only want it/enable it for .mac to gain more users?

7. phinnaeus macrumors member

8. javadh macrumors member

so true!

9. phinnaeus macrumors member

Can someone provide evidence of Gmail having PUSH capability on any phone, Helios or not? I looked and have found no indication of this whatsoever.
    They have IMAP, which was only implemented after the iPhone was released, I just don't see why they can't enable PUSH capability on their servers. Hard to imagine Gmail falling behind Yahoo! in anything without a fight.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I wouldn't be surprised if Google announced push Gmail during all the WWDC hub-bub. It would be nice at least...

11. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldnt surprise me, a perfect way to announce this.

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

http://gizmodo.com/383301/helio-becomes-first-carrier-to-offer-push-gmail

13. neven macrumors 6502a

14. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, when reading the comments I too understood it was only a IMAP pull thing, sucks.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

oh sorry. iphones done that since day one...

16. paj macrumors regular

paj

The Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) is integrated with GMail and is true push with synchronization.

17. phinnaeus macrumors member

Oh, OK.

I guess all there is to do is wait and hope that Google enables this soon or not long after the new iPhone is launched.

18. paj macrumors regular

paj

Even if Apple and AT&T don't provide a BIS type service, the GooSync folk will probably have iPhone support soon.

--- EDIT ---
    ... sorry I got confused, Goosync only provide calender and contacts sync. We'll have to rely on Google, Apple and AT&T to give us email push and sync.

19. phinnaeus macrumors member

Is GooSync for Gmail, too? It appears that they already have iPhone support, but it looks to me like it is all about calendars.

Edit: Haha, ok thanks!

20. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Before my iPhone 2.5G I had a Blackberry 8700. I used GMAIL w/ PUSH on a daily bases. AT&T (and Blackberry I guess) had a web site (http://www.att.com/blackberry maybe?) where I logged in and setup my GMAIL account for PUSH. This worked great.

GMAIL definitely supports it. Lets see if Apple + AT&T will give us the same functionality.

EDIT: It was the BIS login on the http://www.att.com/blackberry page.

21. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

I'm using ymail to get "push for gmail" and it works perfectly. I setup filters to only forward email I want to know about on a “push” basis and set the filter to also mark any FWD email as “read” so it doesn't show up as new mail on my gmail account when going into the general mail app. I can even send right from ymail as my gmail user by changing the from address.

22. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Wrong, gmail does not support push IMAP. The BB service was polling gmail at regular short intervals, probably every minute, and then pushing that down via the BB service. So yes, you can get push capability by funneling your gmail through an intermediary, but that does not mean that gmail itself natively supports push IMAP.

23. NYYankees macrumors member

does anyone know if google has plans to implement push gmail?

also, does push waste more battery than a fetch system?

24. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Not that I have heard of, but since google and iphone have so many other ties I would assume they will at some point in the future

Nothing saves more battery than doing manual. I think you can argue either way on push vs fetch, but I would think that if you get a normal amount of email in a day push would save battery as you aren't checking very 5 or 15 mins for new mail that isn't even there. You only download email when its there.

25. philgilder macrumors 68000

google may have plans, but noone knows
    and before people say 'apple will not allow it as it would eat into mobileme profits', they allow yahoo to push

and it uses less battery than fetch