push gmail...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

I have another question about the iPhone... are there any plans to implement push gmail on the iphone? Also, how much of a gap is there between a message hitting your inbox in gmail and getting delivered to your phone?

Thanks

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

personally, i get the e-mail beep then go to my gmail on my comp...

3. fireball370 macrumors member

I was just thinking the exact same thing. One of the things I like about my blackberry and haven't made the switch yet is the push email. Would this be made available via software update?

Also, would the ability to send/receive MMS messages be made available via software update as well?

Thanks all in advance and sorry if we've already covered this. :)

4. ajx22 macrumors regular

Anything like MMS, etc. - are all software features that could easily be added and expanded upon...this is one of the best things about the iPhone.

Re push - BB has its own specific network for this. Google could well branch into that arena; God knows.

With Yahoo! and Gmail - I'm notified almost instantly. I have Trillian running on my PC laptop; and it's set to constantly poll for email on my Hotmail / Yahoo & AOL accounts. My iPhone will chime for a received email - and within 3-5 seconds; Trillian will notify me of the same. So - even now; Yahoo! & Gmail are very fast to notify - (I had BB's for the last >10 years prior to my iPhone).

Also - if you jailbreak your phone - you can SFTP into it; and change the check for mail from 15-minutes to 5 (or whatever). This may well be made available directly via a firmware revision and/or SDK app.

Just some food for thought...

5. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Still a little bit confused

so is gmail pushed to the phone? or is it just a really fast pull? Im confused.

6. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

ok....?

gmail works through imap... so what kind wait times should i expect for a new message in my inbox to hit the iphone?

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

depends on what option you select for the phone to check for emails. i thought yahoo offered push to iphone users?

8. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Push-IMAP

Ive been doing some more research on the topic and have seen reports of "Push-IMAP" being a feature supported by GMail servers. Apparently, this is the technology used by Yahoo to push email to the iPhone, however, this feature is only enabled for Yahoo accounts. Does anyone know if it is possible to enable Push-IMAP on the current firmware or if it would be possible to enable P-IMAP in a future firmware update?