Push GMail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Anyone have any updates or information about whether Google is working (or has worked?) on a solution to provide push GMail to the iPhone? I don't understand why they wouldn't provide this option being that they already allow for their email to be pushed to blackberry devices. Even the Google Apps emails are pushed on blackberries. Any info would be appreciated.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Google does not offer Push IMAP to anyone (although there seems to be a special case for some Helio phones). It is unknown if they are currently working to implement this or if they are even planning to.

3. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Gmail doesn't push IIRC, it's the BIS that picks up the gmail as POP and pushes it from their servers, to the blackberry device. That's how my other half's works anyway.

4. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is incorrect. You do not have to forward your GMail to your blackberry BIS email address. Simply add your GMail account to your blackberry and emails will be pushed immediately as they are received.

GMail's IMAP email is not push but I do not care whether it is IMAP or POP on my phone. I just need to get my mail instantly and I would rather not pay $100 to do so AND have to forward to another email (me.com). Let's hope Google is developing something soon!

5. shadyInCA macrumors member

You also have to wonder if Apple would let it happen. It would be a direct competitor to their paid hosted service

6. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

True but it would also probably help them sell a lot more iPhones. GMail is one of the biggest email services in the country. This could be a huge selling point for them as well!

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

What are you talking about? Yahoo has offered free push email to the iPhone for the past year.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It can???

I have been researching this as I want to purchase as Iphone 3G when they come out. I currently have a gmail account working with Mac Mail. According to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ22euWXYog

you can use IMAP with the iphone also.
    Does anyone have ideas if this does actually work?

Edit!!!
    Sorry didn't read the post correctly. I take it there is a difference between IMAP and push email???Sorry its been a long day!

9. drpellypo macrumors 6502

No - that's not what I meant. I meant that in order to receive gmail on your blackberry you must register that with the BIS. It's the BIS that handles the email.

10. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

IMAP basically means that all your email and folders are in sync on all your devices (ie: you read a message on your phone and when you look on your computer it shows it as read as well). Push email means that when an email arrives it automatically gets PUSHED to your phone immediately. Most phones only pull email which basically means they poll the email server every so often (usually 5, 15 or 30 min) and check to see if there is any new mail. Only then, does it download it to the device. Hope that clears it up for you.

11. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

how many email adresses can you have coming to your iPhone?

i use gmail for personal and .mac for business mails

12. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea but you have to register any email account you create with the BIS. However no other email service pushes the mail to the device the way gmail does. If what you're saying is true, what makes GMail different than other accounts that have poll the server every 15 min?

13. Peabody macrumors regular

Plenty. I've had up to 5 without issue, but imagine it'll take as many as one could "reasonably" throw at it...

--Peabody

14. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I quickly 'googled' it too find out the difference.

15. sir42 macrumors 6502

I'm really looking forward to push Gmail and Google Apps email. I would have to imagine that this feature will be added within the next year or so. BlackBerry is all push, and while some people will buy MobileMe (or work for a company that provides Exchange), my guess is that as the iPhone and the BlackBerry duke it out, Apple will start to open up push to more companies, and Google seems like an obvious choice. For the moment though, perhaps they are going try to sell as many MobileMe accounts before opening up other push services.

16. izibo macrumors 6502

I had push when I was using a Sony Ericsson W580i (gmail via IMAP). There was a setting for "enable push" I said yes, and lo-and-behold it worked. If I sent myself a test email my phone would start beeping within 5 seconds.

17. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure it is Apple who is prevent Google from implementing this. Remember, Yahoo's mail system currently utilizes a push system with the iPhone. Why would Apple allow Yahoo to do this but not Google? Just doesn't make sense.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My guess is that when Apple's Push Notification Service is up and running Google will start to use it for Push email just like AOL will use it for AIM.

19. badgerman macrumors 6502a

So if it pulls gmail, if I delete or read an email on the iphone will it be deleted or be shown as read on gmail in my account?

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think these issues come from Google's end. It's been so long since they came out with IMAP service and they have yet to give us a solution for the countless issues with duplicates and the All Mail folder and Sent folders.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That may be so but the biggest reason would be because to use push services dedicated servers are required (at least as I understand it). Servers cost money. Writing a few lines of code to interface with someone else's servers is really, really cheap and quick in comparison.

22. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This has nothing to do with push and pull. What you are asking is the main difference b/w IMAP and POP. With GMail you have the option of using either protocols. By using IMAP everything will always be in sync (read, unread, folders, sent messages etc.). With POP the messages get downloaded to your device (computer, phone etc.) but do not remain in sync with the messages on the server.

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It has nothing to do with that. Once GMail implements Push IMAP, push email will work with GMail and the iPhone.

24. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess nobody has any other information about where or not this is coming?

25. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Correct, the only people that would know would be at Google.