Push mail on iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andygabriel, Mar 7, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi.
    Im a bit confuse with push email. I dont really know what it is!
    I have a gmail account and i set up my iphone to retrieve email every 5 mins.
    And i do get my email on my phone without having to go into the mail app.
    Does this mean i have push email on the phone.

Bcuz i read that there's no push email on iphone.

Please explain.
    Thx guys.

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

there is no official push gmail on the iphone, you can get push from yahoo or mobileme though.

3. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

How come i get my email then without opening the mail app?

4. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

Thats fetch. The mail app fetches the email from Gmail every 15 mins. Push would be if Gmail sends the Gmail as soon as it gets it, not when the mail app asks for it.

5. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

How. Do you get your email on your iphone? Do you have to open the mail app. Mine just ring and i have a notification on the mail app showing how many email i got.

6. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

Yeah.. same happens to me. If i want to look at an email i know someone has just sent me but the iPhone has not polled the server yet, i will just launch the mail app and it will do a send/receive.

The mail app is one of the few apps that runs in the background (correct me if I'm wrong please) just like the ipod app. The mail app checks for the email and when it finds a new one it will update the notification badge on the icon.

7. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thx. Now i understand.

So do u guys think that we'll get Push notification on the iphone for other apps like IM apps or its gonna b on the nxt iphone.

Why cant other apps run in the background. Is it hardware limitations?
    The palm pre seems to do a grt job letting apps run in the background.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Push notifications will probably be on the next iPhone. Last year at WWDC, it was announced that we would get that feature in September of 2008. Well they removed it from the beta firmware that developers get, and there has been no word ever since.

As for apps in the background, it's software not hardware. Apple chooses this method for now. You can jailbreak the iPhone to use apps in the background. I also think we will get background apps in the next iPhone.

You can't compare the Palm Pre's performance when it's not even for sale yet.